I’m always looking for super simple side dishes to fill up my hungry teenagers. Rice is one of my go-to ingredients because all my kids love rice. One day I had some mushrooms I needed to use up and decided to try something new to go with the salmon we were having for dinner. This Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto recipe was born, and it has been our go-to side to have with salmon ever since.
Typical risotto recipes are kind of high maintenance, needing to be stirred continually. This recipe is awesome because you put the ingredients in the Instant Pot, and it basically makes itself. The addition of Parmesan cheese at the end really brings the whole dish together. It’s creamy and full of awesome flavor. Give it a try next time you need a side dish. You’ll be surprised what a compliment it is to any of your meat dishes.
If you’re a mushroom lover like I am, you’ll find yourself craving this dish and looking for any excuse to make it. I can’t wait for you to try it.
Other Rice Recipes You Gotta Try
- Lemon Rice
- Ecuadorian Yellow Rice
- Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
- Coconut Rice
- Homemade Rice-a-Roni Recipe
- Oven Baked Spanish Rice
step-by-step pictures on how to make instant pot mushroom risotto
Frequently Asked Questions about how to make Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
what type of rice do you recommend for this recipe?
Regular long-grain white rice is fine in this recipe. When you make an authentic risotto, you need a special type, but it is not necessary for this recipe.
can i use brown rice?
No. Unfortunately, brown rice will not work in this recipe.
what type of mushrooms work best in this recipe?
I typically use White Button Mushrooms or the brown versions called Cremini.
If I don’t have chicken bouillon or chicken broth, what substitution do you recommend?
Using vegetable bouillon or beef bouillon will yield great results.
do i need to use freshly grated Parmesan or can i use the SHELF-STABLE KRAFT GRATED TYPE?
The creaminess in this recipe comes from the fresh Parmesan melting in the dish. You can try the Kraft Parmesan cheese, but the texture will definitely be different.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 4-6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 3½ cups water
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2-3 tbsp milk or heavy cream (as needed)
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and sauté the onions, garlic, and mushrooms in the butter until fragrant and tender.
- Next, add the water, rice, and bouillon. Stir well. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, carefully release the pressure. (I prefer to put a hand towel over the valve to keep the steamy vapor contained.) Take off the lid.
- Stir in the fresh Parmesan, and if needed add 2-3 tbsp of milk or heavy cream to get the consistency you desire.
- Serve and enjoy!