We’re huge fans of Italian food at our house. One of our favorites is Sausage and Peppers. Last time I got the craving for there awesome flavor, I decided to combine the recipe with another one of our favorites, lasagna. The results were delicious and the fact that I made the Italian Sausage and Peppers Lasagna into “Roll-ups” made dinner even that much more exciting for the kids.
They think “roll-up” anything is totally swicked! (sweet and wicked…and that is a good thing)
This recipe is made with basic ingredients. Onions, Peppers, Garlic, Sausage…I love to use ricotta cheese, but if you don’t have any ricotta on hand, cottage cheese works well too.
We prefer to smother these roll-ups with our favorite spaghetti sauce, we’ve become spaghetti sauce snobs….you will too once you try that recipe. It’s the bomb!
I’ve started making Lasagna Roll-ups on a fairly regular basis, and I have been experimenting with different fillings. We loved these Zucchini and Sausage ones a few months ago and I am excited to make Creamy Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Roll-ups after Thanksgiving in a few weeks.
If you haven’t ever made lasagna roll-ups, I challenge you to give them a try and if you have made them but haven’t in a while, put them on the menu for this week. Just roll with it.
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked to al-dente according to package directions
- 1 lb Italian Sausage links, remove casings
- I medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 16 ounce container of Ricotta Cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3-4 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Parsley for garnish, optional
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage, onion, peppers and garlic until sausage is completely cooked and veggies are tender.
- Add Ricotta cheese, Parmesan if you choose to use it, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Place 1 cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan
- spread 1/12 of the filling on a lasagna noodle (I do this on a cutting board..see picture) and roll up the noodle and place it on the sauce in the 9x13 pan. Repeat with remaining 11 lasagna noodles.
- When all 12 noodles are in the pan cover with remaining spaghetti sauce, cover with foil and put in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle the roll-ups with mozzarella cheese and return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Sprinkle with parsley for garnish if desired.