Jalapeno Cheddar Batter Bread
A friend of mine gave me some yummy Cheddar Batter Bread as a gift last week. It was delicious, we gobbled up the whole loaf in under five minutes. (We’re a bit piggish sometimes)
When we finished licking up every last crumb, my husband and I both looked at each other and almost in unison said, “The only thing that could have made that any better is some Jalapeno.” Jinx!
I was planning to experiment with the recipe soon, but my husband just couldn’t wait….that man loves bread and he really loves Jalapeno. He had a craving and I wasn’t going to get in the way of it. Well, until he asked me for help….which I think he does on purpose because he knows I will just take over. 🙂
Anywho, the bread is super easy to mix up, and because it is batter bread there is no kneading, which is awesome and means less to clean up.
The recipe we adapted for this Jalapeno Cheddar Batter Bread was a Pillsbury Bake-off Winner. So this Jalapeno Cheddar Batter Bread Recipe is basically the offspring of a thoroughbred. 🙂
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 4 ounces or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained or ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapeno slices
- Preheat your oven to 195 degrees
- Generously grease a large loaf pan (9x5)
- Combine 1½ cups flour, cheese, sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until warm about 120-130 degrees
- Add warm milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture in your large mixing bowl, beat for 3 minutes on medium speed with your mixer. You can do this step by hand if you prefer, use a whisk and beat for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in remaining cup of flour and green chilies or Jalapenos
- Turn oven off, bowl with dough in it and place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until doubled in size. (this is the quick rise method, if you prefer you can just cover the bowl and leave it on your counter for 40-60 minutes.
- Once doubled in size, stir the dough back down to a batter to release all the air bubbles. Pour into the generously greased bread pan. Cover again and let rise until doubled in size, about 20-35 minutes.
- While dough is rising preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Once dough has doubled in size (approx 20-25 minutes)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a cooling rack
More awesome bread recipes
This bread makes a perfect side for all things Barbecue and also for soups, stews, and chili’s.