Years ago, a friend of mine brought this delicious pasta salad to a church potluck. She moved shortly after, and I forgot to get the recipe from her. The salad was creamy and delicious and had such a unique flavor. I would think about it all the time. I even experimented with making it, but could never get it quite right. I saw her this summer and was super excited to get the recipe from her so I could share Jyl’s Creamy Italian Pasta Salad with all of you. The salad uses a Spicy Italian Seasoning Packet. If you prefer, you can make this Homemade Italian Seasoning as a substitute.
The ingredients for this pasta salad are simple and things you can easily keep on hand in your fridge, pantry, and freezer. This salad is great for potlucks and barbecues, but it’s also just really yummy to make a big bowl to keep in the fridge for a week. Next time you need to make a pasta salad, be sure to give this one a try. You won’t regret it!
My Favorite Potluck Salads
- Spaghetti Pasta Salad
- Aunt Jan’s Wheat Salad
- Mediterranean CousCous Salad
- Classic Broccoli Salad
- Blueberry Jello Salad
- Potato Salad with Old Bay and Bacon
Step-by-step pictures for how to make Jyl’s Creamy Italian Pasta Salad
Frequently Asked Questions for how to make Jyl’s Creamy Italian Pasta Salad
Will it affect the flavor if I use the colored fusilli pasta?
Not at all. You can use colored or regular.
Do I have to refrigerate it overnight or can I serve it right away?
You can serve it right away if needed. Letting it refrigerate overnight just helps the flavors mingle together.
Can I use ham in place of the Salami?
Yes, but it won’t have the same flavor. The salami really gives it an Italian flare.
Will this work with gluten-free pasta?
In my experience, gluten-free pasta doesn’t taste very good cold, but I’ve only had it cold once. So if you have found one that you like to use in pasta salads, I say go for it.
Can I use dried parsley if I don’t have fresh?
Yes, but only add about 2 tbsp instead of 1/2 a cup.
- 1 (16 ounce) box of fusilli pasta
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 package Spicy Italian Dressing mix, just the dry packet; do not add the ingredients listed on the pkg. (Can use regular Italian Dressing mix if you can't find the spicy one.)
- 4 ounces sliced black olives
- 1 cup sliced or cubed Genoa Salami (Peppered is delicious if you can find it.)
- 4-5 green onions, sliced (approx. ¾ cup; use the white and green parts)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook the fusilli to al dente. Drain the pasta in a strainer and run it under cold water until the pasta has cooled.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, and Spicy Italian Dressing mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and cooled pasta, sliced olives, salami, green onions, parsley, and ¾ of the dressing mixture. (Reserve a half cup to mix in right before serving.)
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
Delicious Desserts for Potlucks
Hi Maria 😀
I have a recipe that’s very similar from a friend, except it has Parmesan cheese added to the mayo mixture. Just the powdered stuff with the green lid is fine. It adds an extra creaminess and punch to the dressing. Also, there’s cubed mozzarella added to her salad. It’s SO good!! Try it the next time you make this. I think you’ll like it.
Oh my goodness, that sounds amazing! I’m definitely trying it next time! Thanks Kim!