I’m a huge fan of fast skillet recipes for weeknight dinners. This Kielbasa Rice and Veggie Skillet was a hit with the whole fam.
Weeknights are crazy and if I haven’t thrown something in the crock pot earlier in the day, whatever we have for dinner better be something I can whip up in about 30 minutes or things get ugly real fast.
Keeping ingredients on hand for a few go-to skillet meals goes a long way with giving me a happy, “you got this,” feeling inside when I realize It’s 4:30 already and I somehow forgot that I have a family that’s about to come at me with “I’m hungry” and “What’s for dinner.”
This skillet dinner is one of my favorites to fall back on because Kielbasa is a meat that can be kept (in the sealed package) in your fridge for a long time, that means that I don’t have to remember to defrost it. I always have rice around and onions, celery and carrots are fridge staples at my house. Then I can just throw an extra veggie or two in, from what else I happen to have on hand and voila, a healthy dinner is on the table in about thirty minutes.
Another reason to keep a package of Kielbasa in the fridge is so you can make this Creamy Cajun Pasta Skillet with Kielbasa. It’s yummy!
To customize it to your family’s taste you can experiment with different veggie combos. I typically use green pepper, onion, carrot and celery. But I love to add mushrooms if I have them. Green beans and broccoli are other veggies that would go well with the kielbasa flavor.
Most Pinned Recipes
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Kielbasa, sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth (2 cups water with 2 bullion cubes)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- In a large skillet that has a lid, heat olive oil and saute the sliced kielbasa, onion, celery, green pepper and carrots for 3-4 minutes. Add Garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add rice, chicken broth, water, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with Easy Parmesan Breadsticks if desired