I’ve shared recipes from my friend, Mar, before. She’s the one that gave me this bomb Homemade Tortillas Recipe and also this fresh and amazing Aji Picante (Colombian-style Pico de Gallo). Mar’s heritage is Mexican and her husband is Colombian, and everything she makes is absolutely delicious. I couldn’t figure out what to call these without it being a super long name, so I am just calling them Mar’s Burritos. You’re going to want to remember that when you need to search for this recipe again. It’s so simple and delicious. We make them at least once a month.
Mar uses chorizo in hers, and I do when I can find it. But I’ve been using Italian sausage or regular sausage when I can’t find chorizo, and they are still absolutely delicious. Spicy sausage is a good replacement for the chorizo. Hot Jimmy Dean Sausage or Hot Italian Sausage are my favorite sausages to use.
The other absolutely essential ingredient in these burritos is Sazon Goya, make sure it is the orange one. (This seasoning is another option if you need to avoid MSG.) It adds an amazing flavor. I’m so excited for you to try these yummy burritos. They make an awesome weeknight dinner.
If you have the time, it really makes these special to eat them with homemade tortillas. I know they are a little bit of work, but I’m telling you, it’s worth it. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere where they sell the cook-yourself (homemade tasting) tortillas, I am so jealous. Get some and make these burritos STAT!
More Taco Tuesday Favorites
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Salsa Chicken Enchiladas
- Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Oven Baked Spanish Rice
- Easy Skillet Chicken Taco Meat
Step-by-step pictures for how to make Mar’s Burritos
Tips for making Mar’s Burritos
- Dice the potatoes small, so they cook faster.
- Make homemade tortillas or use the brown and serve ones at the store.
- If using regular tortillas, put the unopened package in the microwave for one minute right before serving to warm up and soften the tortillas.
- If you have time, make Homemade Pinto Beans. The flavor is so good. Use this Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe but take out 1 1/2 – 2 cups for this recipe before making the rest into refried beans to freeze for other dinners.
- Serve with mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar or Colby Jack. Mar actually loves to use the small mozzarella balls, if she has them on hand. Sounds strange, but it’s amazing!
- If you have leftover filling, use it to make extra burritos. Wrap them in plastic wrap, then freeze them in a ziplock bag, and pull them out when you want a yummy lunch.
- 1 lb of Chorizo, Hot Jimmy Dean Sausage or Hot Italian Sausage (You can use mild, if you prefer.)
- 1 lb diced potatoes, diced small (I use 2 large or three medium-sized potatoes.)
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 2-3 packets of Sazon Goya (the orange box)
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (You can use 1½ cups-2 cups homemade pinto beans, if you prefer.)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 Burrito-size tortillas
- In a large skillet, saute the chorizo or sausage, potatoes, and onion over medium-high heat until the potatoes are getting tender.
- Next, add 2 packets of the Sazon Goya and keep cooking until the potatoes are completely cooked to your preference.
- Add the beans and try to sort of smash them as you mix them in.
- Once the beans are added and heated through, taste them and add more Sazon Goya if desired.
- Serve while hot in warm tortillas with mozzarella cheese. You can also add salsa and Cilantro Ranch if desired.