A slightly grainy texture with a hint of sweetness never tasted so good. I grew up thinking the only way to eat corn bread was if it was dripping with butter and honey. So good. Comfort food at it’s finest. Years later when I lived in the Deep South I found out corn bread is also an awesome side for chili or corned beef.
My husband has been on a corn bread kick lately. By lately I mean, like, the last five years. He’s always saying, I think I’ll make some corn bread today. It is one recipe that he has truly mastered.
We have tried other recipes but always come back to my mom’s recipe. It’s the best. It taste great and it’s made with simple ingredients we keep on hand. I bet you have the ingredients in your pantry too. Make you some for breakfast it’s delicious!
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Stir dry ingredients in mixing bowl
- Add oil, milk and slightly beaten egg
- Mix just until blended, do not over mix
- Pour into well greased 9x13 pan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean