blueberry muffin recipe (it’s a little healthier then this one) and it is yummy…..but I have to admit, I like this one better.
The tiny pinch of nutmeg gives it a subtle flavor that leaves me wanting to eat another and another until before I know it half the batch is gone…ooops.
I created this recipe by slightly adapting a recipe I found on The Pioneer Woman’s blog. I use vanilla yogurt and sour cream and add a little orange or lemon zest. I also use frozen blueberries (thawed) and cut them down by half, I like more muffin then blueberry.
This recipe is so simple and I love that it makes almost 2 dozen muffins. That way, when I eat half the batch myself there is still enough for everyone else in the family to have a couple too.
- 2¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dash of Nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt, I like to use vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream (can be substituted with an additional half cup yogurt)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained
- Zest of an orange or lemon approx 1 tsp
- ½ tsp vanilla Extract (if you use a full cup of vanilla yogurt, you can eliminate this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees
- In a large bowl sift flour, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, yogurt, sour cream and orange or lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir to a count of 10.
- Add blueberries, to mixture and stir 3-6 times.
- Add mixture to prepared muffin pans.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sugar over top of each muffin.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes and allow to cool completely. If using mini muffin tins cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Make approx 20-24 regular size muffins
Keep it Real!!!