Oven Baked Spanish Rice is one of my most popular recipes on the blog. I guess I’m not the only one who loves the convenience of being able to throw it in the oven and forget about it while I prepare the rest of the meal.
The subtle lime and cilantro flavor are the perfect pair for any of your favorite Mexican inspired dishes. We loved it as the base of these Chipolte Lime Pork Burrito Bowls.
- 2½ cups regular white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (I use two cubes of chicken bullion dissolved into two cups hot water.)
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 limes (remember, put the limes in the microwave for 10 seconds before squeezing, they will give you more juice)
- 6 tbsp softened butter, or canola oil
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or ¼ tsp garlic powder or dehydrated garlic)
- ¼ cup chopped onion (or ¾ tsp onion powder or 1 tbsp dehydrated onion)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves, very loosely packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9x13 pan combine rice, chicken broth, water, the juice of ONE of the limes, butter OR oil, ½ tsp of the salt (reserve the other ¼ tsp for after rice is cooked), crushed garlic and chopped onion.
- Carefully stir to distribute ingredients evenly, cover with foil and place in 350 degree oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove rice after 1 hour. In a small bowl mix, juice of the second lime, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar and ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves. Pour mixture over baked rice and stir carefully until well combined. Serve and Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an air tight container in your fridge for up to 4 days or in a Ziploc freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keep it Real!!!