**Make sure to follow Real Life Dinner on Facebook or Pinterest, so you won’t miss any fantastic recipes!**Spanish Rice is one of my families favorite side dishes. I make a lot of Mexican inspired meals and it goes perfectly with almost all of them.
Because of our love for Mexican Food, I have noticed that when I entertain or have people over, I almost always make Mexican Food.
This simple Oven baked Spanish Rice, makes my life easier on those occasions when I am entertaining and even when I am just making dinner for my family! I absolutely love being able to throw it in the oven and forget about it for an hour.
I have also found that when I am preparing a big meal for company or entertaining I can prep the rice earlier in the day, leave it covered on the counter so I can pop it in the oven an hour before I need to serve and not have to worry about putting it together in the thick of things.
The rice comes out perfect every time!
I also make this Spanish Rice on the stove top on a regular basis and have great success with it that way too. (but I do prefer it baked in the oven) Depending on how busy my day is or what the dinner plan is, I can do either cooking method and know that the rice will come out wonderfully!
Here are the instructions for baking Spanish Rice in the oven. I have a different post dedicated to the instructions for the Stove Top Spanish Rice, to keep things less confusing. 🙂 You can choose which method you like best, or if you are like me, you will find yourself using both methods depending on the situation.
- 2½ cups rice
- 4¾ cups chicken broth (I use 4¾ cups water and 5 tsp chicken bullion. If using bullion cubes you will need to dissolve them in a small portion of your 4¾ water so that the flavoring will be evenly distributed)
- ½ cup tomato sauce (that is half of an 8 ounce can, I freeze the extra and use it in the next batch I make.)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- ⅓ cup canola oil or butter (I usually use oil or a mixture of both. ex: ⅓ cup butter and 1-2 tbsp oil or vice versa)
- ⅛ tsp chili powder (optional)
- ⅛ tsp Cumin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a 9x13 pan combine all ingredients and stir so that everything is evenly distributed
- Cover tightly with foil
- Place carefully in oven and bake for 1 hour
- Remove from oven and leave covered until ready to serve
- Onions and garlic may settle on the top, Fluff with a fork to mix them evenly into rice
More Mexican Food Favorites
You are going to love this rice!