Asparagus being in season makes me happy. Sauteing garlic, chicken, and asparagus and then finishing it with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a generous shake of Parmesan cheese makes for a very simple and delicious dinner. We like to toss it all in pasta and call it Parmesan Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus. Yum!
This recipe comes together with just a few simple ingredients. Make sure you have a fresh lemon on hand it really makes a difference.
Lemon, garlic and Parmesan really bring out the best in the Asparagus. Asparagus has such a unique flavor and these complementing flavors make it perfect. I especially love how the lemon adds a brightness to the flavor that really wakes your taste-buds up.
*Have I ever mentioned I love my deep frying pan, that has a lid? I feel that everyone needs one. Here is a link to one that is very similar to mine. It’s so worth the 25 bucks.
Asparagus was such a treat when I was growing up. We only had it once or twice a year. Usually someone would bring it to us. My uncle who lived in Idaho had a special place he could go and find it growing in the wild. So if he happened to come for a visit around the time it was in season he would always bring some.
I don’t know if it was even available at the little grocery store in town. I’m sure it is now, but 25, 30 years ago, I’m thinking it probably wasn’t, or if it was, it was probably a bit pricey.
My mom always made it into a cream sauce and served it over toast. I can still see her face and remember how excited she would get about asparagus. She loves it and passed that love on to me.
I am happy to report that the love has also passed on to Thatcher as well. He begs me to make roasted asparagus. The other kids (except Trever..he throws his off his plate) will at least eat it without vocal complaints but Thatch genuinely loves it and I think it’s adorable.
I’m sure he’ll be making this Parmesan Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus for his college roommates one day. I should totally start a binder for that boy to start putting easy recipes he likes in it to prepare him for those days. (Can we talk about how cute and organized these downloads are from Living Well Mom.)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced thin in bite size pieces
- 4-5 large segments of garlic, crushed
- 1 lb asparagus, cleaned, trimmed and but into 2 inch pieces
- ⅓-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ of a fresh lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta, cooked and drained
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, saute meat until almost cooked, add garlic and saute until chicken is starting to brown a little. Make sure to salt and pepper chicken while it is cooking.
- Add cut up asparagus and cook just until asparagus is tender, add a little more salt and pepper. (I cook my pasta while I am doing the sauteing of the chicken and asparagus.)
- Once asparagus is tender, remove pan from heat and squeeze the lemon over the chicken asparagus mixture, careful not to get any seeds in it and then shake on the Parmesan cheese and stir until everything is coated evenly.
- Drain pasta and toss together with chicken asparagus mixture. Serve with wedges of lemon and Parmesan cheese so people can add more to their individual serving if they would like. Enjoy!