This slush recipe is the BEST! So simple to make, can be made ahead and is ALWAYS a hit whenever I serve it!
When I was growing up my mom made this slush for special occasions and I loved it!!!!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is you can make any color or flavor combination you want. The recipe calls for three packs of Koolaid and you can use all three of one flavor or mix things up.. In the picture above I used one lemon, one orange and one cherry. The flavor was AWESOME! One of my other favorites is using three packets of lime. Something about the lime with a little bit of pineapple juice is just oh, so delicious!
I haven’t tried it yet, but I think you could have pretty good success making a mostly sugar free version by substituting crystal light packets for the Koolaid and sugar. It may be a little different in consistency, but if you stir it every hour or two I think it would come out fairly similar.
This slush really is the bomb and you NEED to find an excuse to make it.
- 3 pkg Koolaid (the small packets)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Lemon Lime Soda
- In a large freezer safe bowl (one that holds at least four quarts) and preferably one with a lid, combine sugar and koolaid powder.
- Add water and pineapple juice
- Mix until all sugar is dissolved
- Put lid on tightly or cover tightly with foil
- Put in freezer for 5-7 hours, stirring every hour and a half or two hours until it is a nice thick slush.
- Add Sprite to get desired consistency. I usually use about ½ or ⅔ of a 2 liter per batch of slush.
- ****You can also make slush ahead and freeze completely.Set it out 3 hours before you need to serve it so it can thaw out a little.
- Using a large spoon or other utensil, chop at the slightly thawed frozen slush and break it apart, once it is fairly broken up I like to use a potato smasher or a pampered chef mix and chop to get it to the slushy consistency I like.
- At this point add the lemon lime soda and serve.
This little rag-muffin sure enjoyed her sample…..she might like it almost as much as Mommy.
Keep it Real!