When you want a mint brownie, you want a mint brownie. Am I right!? I was dying for a mint brownie all week last week so I had to make some and when I call these, Perfect Mint Brownies, I really mean they are perfect.
The balance of cocoa and mint is on point. The texture of the brownie is chewy and delicious with just the right amount of density to hold up the layers of mint frosting and dark chocolate.
These brownies turned out so good I had to farm them out of the house so I wouldn’t eat them all.
My husband and I are doing a healthy challenge with friends, (we’re seeing which couple can lose the most combined weight and the losing couple has to take the winning couple out to a nice dinner.) We weigh in on Tuesday’s and if I have had a lose for the week I treat myself to whatever I have been craving that week and deem it my “free day.”
These Brownies were my “free day” treat but I knew if I didn’t get them out of the house, I would justify turning the week into a “free week,” and eat one or three brownies every day.
To get them out of the house, I sent some home with my intern and also gave one to my friend who dropped Trever off after preschool. I saw that friend later that night and she asked if I was going to be posting the recipe soon because they were delicious and she wanted to make them.
So here is the delicious recipe and if you are on a healthy challenge make sure you know where you are going to send these before you make them or you just might eat the whole pan like I wanted to.
Frequently asked questions:
Can I use a Brownie Mix instead of the HOmemade Brownie Recipe fro these Perfect Mint Brownies?
Yes, you can totally use a brownie mix but the flavor will be slightly different and the brownies may be a little more difficult to eat as sometimes brownie mix brownies can be hard to keep in one piece because they are so soft.
I chose to use my favorite Fudgy Chewy Homemade Brownie Recipe as the base for these delicious brownies and it worked perfectly. It’s a slightly dense brownie and holds up perfectly under the mint frosting and chocolate layer.
Can I use Milk Chocolate Chips for the topping instead of Semi-Sweet For these Perfect Mint Brownies ?
Yes, of course, if you prefer milk chocolate to semi-sweet it is perfectly fine to use milk chocolate chips. Mixing half milk and half semi-sweet also yields a great chocolate flavor.
More Delicious Brownie Recipes:
- German Chocolate Brownies
- Swirled Cheesecake Brownies
- Crazy Good Whole Wheat Brownies with Fudge Frosting
- Fudgy Chewy Homemade Brownie Recipe
- FOR THE BROWNIE LAYER
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2¼ cups sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- FOR THE MINT FROSTING LAYER
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream, evaporated milk or milk
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp butter, softened is best
- ½ tsp mint extract
- FOR THE BROWNIE LAYER
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (I like to use cocoa powder instead of flour) a9x13 pan and set aside
- In a microwave safe dish combine butter, cocoa powder and sugar.
- Microwave in one minute increments, stirring after each minute, until butter is melted and cocoa and sugar are incorporated nicely.(see picture) In my microwave it takes three one minute increments to get the right consistency.
- Transfer cocoa mixture to mixing bowl add salt and vanilla then and add eggs one at a time and mix until they are well combined.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly in the prepared 9x13 pan,
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool completely before frosting. You can put it in the fridge to quicken the cool time.
- FOR THE MINT FROSTING
- Combine 6 tbsp softened butter with powdered sugar, extract and 2 tbsp of cream.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together until smooth, if needed add one more tbsp of cream but remember you want this to be a dense frosting that will hold up to the chocolate layer you will add on top of it.
- When brownies are cooled spread frosting evenly over brownies
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER
- In a glass microwave safe dish combine 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 tbsp of butter. Microwave for one minute and stir. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again. If there are still un-melted chocolate chips microwave for 15-20 second increments until chocolate is smooth. Do not over microwave or the chocolate will seize.
- When Chocolate is melted and smooth, add ½ tsp mint extract and if desired 1 more tbsp of butter. Adding the butter will help the chocolate spread easier and leave it a little creamier when it cools.
- Drizzle the chocolate all over the mint frosting (see picture above in the step by step collage.) Drizzling it like that will make it easier to spread. Spread the chocolate evenly over the mint frosting and then let the chocolate completely cool and set up before cutting and serving. You can do this at room temperature or speed it up by putting them in the fridge.
- Use a sharp knife to cut, and enjoy!
Need dinner ideas?