Taco Tuesday is something my kids wish we did every week. I might not make tacos every week, but I do make them A LOT! This recipe for Perfect Taco Meat is delicious and makes for awesome taco’s no matter what day of the week you eat them.
I like to grate a carrot into my taco meat when I cook it. I also like to add some finely diced onion. This particular day (when I took these photo’s) I was in a hurry and didn’t do either of those things, but I did add 2 tbsp of dried onion. If your family doesn’t like onion or carrots, don’t add them. This recipe is perfect with or without added carrot and onion.
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup finely grated carrot, optional
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion, or 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp corn starch (If you don't have corn starch you can use 2 tbsp flour )
- 1 tsp beef bullion, or a scant tsp of salt (I like to use beef bullion because it adds a little extra beefy flavor.)
- ½ tsp paprika, smoked paprika is my favorite to use
- ¼-1/2 tsp black pepper, depending on heat tolerence
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes, optional do not add if you don't want it spicy
- ½ cup of water
- In a medium size frying pan, combine beef and onion and carrot if you are using it. Cook over medium high heat until meat is cooked and veggies are tender.
- Add all of the spices and corn starch. Mix well and add water.
- Cover and turn heat down to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 five minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco shells and fillings.