Pulled Pork with Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
I used to be able to pass by a pulled pork sandwich without much temptation. Then my friend Jamie introduced me to this recipe and now I have the opposite problem…. I eat three sandwiches in one sitting.
I LOVE the flavor of this homemade BBQ sauce. It’s not as sweet as most pulled pork recipes and it doesn’t have the extreme tangy-ness that can sometimes be a major component in BBQ. It’s so simple too…nothing exotic in the sauce, you’ve probably got everything it calls for on hand right now!
It has lemon juice instead of vinegar as the acid and I think that is the difference that I like so much. It is FANTASTIC!!!! Eaten on one of my Easy Homemade Hard Rolls (slightly toasted) it is a little piece of heaven.
I also love that the consistency of the meat with the sauce on it is not soupy at all so your bun doesn’t become a soggy mess when you are eating it.
I’m hooked, you will be too!
- 2-3 lbs pork roast, I use pork loin
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 carrot, finely grated @ ½ cup or so (optional....you know I put shredded carrot in everything.)
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Cook meet in crock pot or in a covered baker in oven until meat shreds easily. My roast was frozen and it took 4 hours in my oven set to 350 degrees.
- When meat is cooked and shredded, Keep it covered and warm while you prepare the sauce.
- In sauce pan, saute onion, celery, and carrot in butter, until onions are tender.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes
- Pour sauce over meat and stir until all meat is coated
- Serve on your favorite rolls.
I hope you love this as much as I do! It’s SOOOOO delicious!