Take boring cabbage to Flavortown with this simple and delicious recipe for Roasted Cabbage Steaks! I’ve roasted cabbage before, but I had never thought of this simple hack my Aunt Diann taught me for seasoning them–sprinkle them with an Italian Salad Dressing Seasoning packet. Genius; right!? If you don’t have a packet or want a homemade version of the seasoning, use my Homemade Italian Salad Dressing Mix.
As you can see in these pictures, my cabbage was quite pale. This time of year cabbages are looking a little sad… what better way to make them more appealing than to up their flavor factor! You’re going to love this super simple recipe that makes eating cabbage fun and delicious!
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork Loin
- Honey Garlic Salmon
- Baked Lemon Herb Chicken Breasts
- Calvin’s Corned Beef
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Sticky Teriyaki Baked Chicken Thighs
Step-by-Step pictures for how to make Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Tips for making Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Buy cabbage that is fresh and crisp with only a few loose leaves.
- I don’t recommend omitting the olive oil. Not only does it add flavor to the cabbage, but it also helps it become tender and keeps the seasonings from burning. You can use canola oil or vegetable oil if you don’t have olive oil on hand.
- Use a basting brush to spread the oil on the cabbage. The back of a spoon works, too.
- For easy cleanup, line the baking sheet with parchment paper first.
- Make sure to prepare the sheet pan with olive oil and the called-for seasonings before adding the cabbage steaks.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice right before serving for another level of flavor.
- Substitute green cabbage for red cabbage. The roasting time is the same.
- Store leftover cabbage steaks in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 1 Italian Salad Dressing Packet
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully slice the cabbage into ¾-inch steaks. Cut the core out of the bottom of each slice.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil on the bottom of a large sheet pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper and half of the seasoning packet onto the bottom of the olive-oiled pan.
- Place the slices of cabbage on the seasoned/oiled pan and rub them into the oil and seasonings.
- Repeat those steps on the top of the cabbage steaks. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and the rest of the seasoning packet.
- The roasting step may need to be slightly adjusted depending on how dense your cabbage is. As you can see in my pictures, the cabbage was very dense, and it took quite a while to cook.
- If your cabbage is dense, too, cover it with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 30-40 minutes more or until tender and slightly browning.
- If your cabbage is not very dense, you can leave it uncovered and bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until roasted and tender.
- When the cabbage steaks are done, you can squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over them, if you desire.