Rolo Carmelita Bars are so delicious!!! The combination of brown sugar and butter in the oatmeal crumble are the perfect match for the chocolate and caramel center!
I have been thinking about them a lot….probably the pregnancies fault, and decided I had to make them this week.
My original recipe calls for a package of caramels and a cup or two of chocolate chips. I always have chocolate chips on hand, but I didn’t have caramels or cream to make my own, so I was planning to pick some caramels up at the store when I went to get a few staples.
At the store the caramels were sitting near the Rolo’s and an idea popped into my head, “Why not just use Rolo’s and skip the step of melting the caramels down and blah blah blah.” I am all about simplifying a process without skimping on results and I knew I couldn’t go wrong using Rolo’s. Plus the Rolo’s were cheaper then the caramels. Bonus!
The center is not quite as gooey as the original recipe, and they set up much quicker then the originals so you can start slicing them up and eating them faster. My only regret is that I forgot I wanted to sprinkle the Rolo layer with a little course salt before I topped it with the rest of the crumble. Don’t get me wrong they are still delicious but I think that would have taken it OVER THE TOP!
- 1¾ cup quick oats
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 12-14 oz package of Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl combine first six ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Press half the cookie crumble mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 pan (I put my hand inside of a sandwich bag to make this step easier and less messy)
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes util it is just barely starting to get a tiny bit golden on the edges
- While the first layer is cooking, unwrap Rolo's and cut them in half
- When the baked crumble layer is out of the oven, evenly sprinkle the cut Rolo's over it. At this point if you want to you can sprinkle it with a little coarse salt.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cookie crumble on top of the Rolo layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take out and place pan on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting into small squares. Makes 24 bars.
These darn bars are so tasty, it is hard to stay out of the pan, so make sure you have somewhere to take them when you make them. 🙂 This Rolo Apple Pie Braid is another of my favorite ways to use Rolo’s. SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!!
Keep it Real!!!