I gotta tell ya! I really knocked it out of the park with this Sausage and Sweet Potato Tortellini Soup! It’s my new favorite soup this fall. I’m not the only one who loves it, my family loves it, too! Score! Tortellini soups are always a big hit with them. Even my picky eater gets excited with those fun noodles. Two of our other favorite fall soups are Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup and Chicken Tortellini with Veggies Soup. Have you tried them yet?
I got the idea for this Sausage and Sweet Potato Tortellini Soup from an Instagram poll that I took a few weeks ago. Most of the soups people listed as their favorites were ones I recognized, but I had never heard of Sausage and Sweet Potato Tortellini Soup before. The reader who listed it said she uses a recipe for it from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. I had to go check it out. The one Mel makes is a creamy soup. I decided to go for more of a broth-tomato-based soup. I haven’t tried Mel’s yet, but I’m sure it’s delicious, too.
My favorite Fall soups:
- Chicken and Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli
- Thick and Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
- Classic Taco Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
how to make sausage and sweet potato tortellini soup
Tips for making Sausage and Sweet Potato Tortellini Soup
- Slice the sweet potatoes quite thin. They will break as they cook and give a nice texture to the soup.
- Use frozen tortellini. It only takes four minutes to cook. Add the tortellini when soup is boiling for best results.
- If you like a little heat, use half mild and half hot sausage. For spicy, use all hot sausage.
- Add spinach at the last minute, right before serving.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
- 1-2 lbs Italian sausage--hot, mild or a mix of both
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots--peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 large cloves of garlic
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 8-10 cups stock or broth, chicken or veggie (You may need to add a cup or two of water
- 19 oz bag of frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- Inlarge soup pot, heat olive oil and add sausage that has been removed from its casings. Brown sausage halfway.
- Add chopped celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Continue browning until onions are tender and meat is completely cooked.
- Add the sliced sweet potato pieces and saute for another 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, basil and diced tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add broth and bring soup to for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes start breaking apart when pressed with a spoon.
- Next, add the tortellini to the boiling soup. Boil the tortellini in the soup according to the package directions.
- When noodles are done and ready to serve, add chopped spinach. (If tortellini sucked up most of the broth you can add a cup or two of water. Adjust salt if needed.)
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread or rolls.