Skillet Taco and Rice Dinner
One pan, thirty minutes, kids begging for seconds.
My weekdays get crazier and crazier the older my kids get and dinner time seems to sneak up on me more often then not these days.
To counter-act this problem, I’ve been turning all our favorite dinners into skillet meals. This way even if I forgot about dinner I can still throw something together in thirty minutes that I know the whole family will love.
My kids love anything taco, anything rice, and anything they can dip chips in. I love anything that only takes one pan and thirty minutes to make. Win Win!
This easy recipe is also perfect for stuffing in a tortilla for burritos, and it’s very similar to it’s cousin recipe: Taco Spaghetti Skillet Dinner…another favorite easy meal at our house.
Join me in my quest to have skillets everywhere bring families together for dinner even on crazy nights. 🙂
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 large carrot gratted
- ½ a medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 can Rotel (tomatoes and diced green chilies), I drain it but if you want it extra spicy don't drain it and leave out ¼ cup of the water called for in the later part of the recipe
- 1 packet taco seasoning, I use this easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, see link under recipe
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 2¾ cup water
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 can black beans
- sour cream and cheese for topping, optional
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and grated carrot until cooked, about 7-8 minutes
- Add taco seasoning, chicken bullion cube, Rotel (tomatoes and Diced green chilies,) black beans, water and rice
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Cover with air tight lid, turn down to medium heat and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- We really like to top it with sour cream, cheese, and dip corn chips in it. Or we also like to wrap it in tortillas for burritos.