Chili Chicken Casserole is a family favorite around here. I converted it into a slow cooker recipe and I love that it only takes 5 minutes to throw everything in the slow cooker. Having four kids has turned me into a big fan of recipes I can throw in the crock pot in five minutes or less.
The flavor combination in this recipe is awesome. It sounds a bit strange and when I first saw the recipe I was like, “really, a can of chili?” Then I tasted it and I was like, “Holy Crap, this is delicious!!!” ….and I’ve been making it regularly ever since.
We love to eat this over rice with shredded cheese and olives, green onions are tasty on it too if you are a fan.
It is also pretty dang delish slapped into a tortilla.
When I make it I use pre-cooked shredded chicken that I keep on hand in my freezer. You can use raw chicken if you want, just cut it into small pieces before adding it to the slow cooker.
The brand of chili you use will also affect the flavor, I usually stick with Hormel or try to save and freeze a couple cups of homemade chili when I make it to use later in this recipe.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed **
- 1 15 ounce can chili or 2 cups homemade chili
- 1 small can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chili verde salsa
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 1 can of olives, sliced
- shredded cheese of your choice, we like Colby Jack, Monterey Jack or mild cheddar
- tortillas, cooked rice, or both for serving
- Put the chicken, chili, cream of chicken soup, chili verde, and onion in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- **if you prefer to use raw chicken instead of cooked that is fine, but cook it on high for 4-6 hours instead of low.
- Serve over steamed white rice or wrapped in a tortilla. We like to top everything off with a healthy dose of cheese and sliced black olives.
Easy weeknight dinners
I am indebted to my friend Alison for introducing me to this awesome recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.