Sometimes you just need a good, super quick slow cooker recipe that can be thrown together in minutes. This Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken Stew definitely fits that bill and is full of creamy, delicious, comforting flavors. It’s almost as easy as my Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner Recipe, another super quick slow cooker recipe you need to try if you haven’t yet.
For this Creamy Ranch Stew, you can make it even quicker by using baby carrots. Also, if you can find small enough potatoes, you can either leave them whole or quickly cut them in half.
An ingredient that might surprise you in this recipe is the can of diced green chilis. Seems a little strange, but trust me it adds a unique flavor that really brings everything together. This is a great recipe for fall and winter nights. It will warm everyone right up! There’s nothing quite like coming home to a slow cooker full of a nice comforting stew when you’ve had a long day! Can’t wait for you to give this one a try!
Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Fajitas
- Erin’s Yummy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chili Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
Step-by-step pictures for how to make Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken Stew
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips for making Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken Stew
What can I substitute for the canned soup?
This recipe works best with a can of cream of chicken soup or in a pinch, cream of mushroom soup. If the reason for wanting a substitution is because you don’t like the nutritional facts in canned soups, you can make a homemade version and add that in its place. If you are looking for a substitution because you don’t have canned soup and don’t want to make a homemade version, you could try adding a gravy packet (add half the water it calls for) and 4 ounces of cream cheese cut into small pieces.
Can I add other vegetables besides the carrots and potatoes?
Yes. The potatoes and carrots will take the longest to cook. So if you want to add something like green beans or peas, I suggest waiting until the last 2-3 hours of cooking time to add them. If you want to add corn, that could be added from the beginning of the cooking time.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
Yes, but you will need to add another hour of cooking time for the meat to get to a shreddable consistency.
CAN i USE PRECOOKED CHICKEN?
Yes, but you could wait to add it until the carrots and potatoes are starting to get tender. Adding it from the beginning will be fine, too, if you will be away from the house and unable to add it partway through the cooking process.
cAN I USE BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS?
Yes. Personally, I prefer chicken breast in this recipe, but chicken thighs will work great, too.
Can I serve this over rice?
Yes. Serving it over rice would be tasty and help it go further if you have a large family or extra people you are serving.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (usually 2-3 chicken breasts)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 Hidden Valley Ranch Packet (dry)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 4-5 regular sized carrots or 1 lb of baby carrots
- 2 lbs potatoes, chopped into 1-inch or 2-inch sized cubes (Any variety is fine.)
- ½ tsp chicken bouillon
- ½ cup water or milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the condensed soup, diced green chilis, water or milk, chicken bullion, and half of the ranch packet to a slow cooker. Stir well until everything is mixed.
- Add the chicken on top of the sauce. Salt and pepper the top of the chicken.
- Next, add the carrots and potatoes on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining half of the ranch packet on top of the veggies.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Stew is ready when veggies are soft and chicken shreds easily with two forks.
- Shred the chicken before serving.
Delicious Creamy Soups