Iv’e got a keeper for you! Not only is this Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner one of the easiest Slow Cooker Recipes I’ve ever made, it’s comfort to the max and D-licious!
If you love Tin-foil (Hobo) Dinner’s, you will love this simple dinner. When my mom wasn’t sure what to make for dinner she would reach for potatoes, carrots, onions and some ground beef. All things she typically had on hand. She would slice up the veggies and break the ground beef into bite size pieces, salt and pepper it and throw it in her favorite roasting pan. She would bake it for 2 hours or so and pull out a healthy, well rounded dinner that was almost as good as the real thing.
I’ve done that a time or two, but I prefer to cook it in the slow cooker, so I can put it in early and know that I will have a nice dinner waiting when dinner time rolls around. I also like to add a can of cream of mushroom soup to give it some creaminess and an extra layer of flavor.
There is just something so delicious about potatoes, beef and onions. Seriously I could eat almost any combination of those three things everyday! Don’t get me wrong I like carrots too and they make me feel like I am offering my family a more well-balanced meal, but for me they are the thing I have to put up with. I always eat them first to get it over with. I also always try to pick out extra onions with my serving. I’ll just never be able to understand why there are people in the world who turn their noses up to onions.
Saturday we had a busy day full of football and soccer and we also had a house guest. I hadn’t planned on what to have for dinner and was racking my brain to try and think of something I could quickly throw in the slow cooker. I remembered this easy recipe. Sliced some potatoes and onions, threw in half a bag of baby carrots and two pounds of ground beef. Finished it off with a can of cream of mushroom soup and salt and pepper.
Guys, it took like 15 minutes max to put this Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner together. Why don’t I make this every week?
Our house guest raved and my husband begged me to save the leftovers for his lunch on Monday. The kids were a tiny bit worried about seeing pieces of onions in their dinner, but when I told them they could just pass them to me, they quickly got over their upset.
There’s nothing like coming home from a long day to a hot, delicious plate of comfort food. This fits that bill and I’m convinced you’ll love it as much as we do!
- 6 or 7 medium red potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 onions, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 cups sliced carrots, or ½ a lb of baby carrots
- 1-2 lbs ground beef (I add ¼ lb per person who will be eating)
- 1 small can cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper
- Place half of the sliced potatoes, onions and carrots in the bottom of your slow cooker. salt and pepper generously.
- Add half of the ground beef (I break it into pieces, you can make it in to patties if you desire).
- Spoon half of the cream of mushroom soup over the meat. (I also salt and pepper the meat a little)
- Repeat by adding the remainder ingredients in the same order, making sure to salt and pepper again.
- Place lid on slow cooker and set to low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.