Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast is an amazing and unique take on pot roast. The finished product is incredibly flavorful and soooo tender. My family when absolutely crazy for this tender shredded beef served in cheesy buns. It also tastes amazing over these Instant Pot Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. The best part of this recipe is it will most likely be enough to feed your family for two meals. We like it in buns, over mashed potatoes, or sometimes I add a cup of beef broth to the leftovers and serve it over steamed rice. It always gets gobbled right up!
What you will love the most about this recipe is that it literally takes less than 5 minutes to get it into the slow cooker. There’s no browning of the meat. Just shake two packets of seasoning over it, plop 3-4 peperoncini peppers on top with a little juice, and throw in a few dollops of butter. Set the heat, and you’re 8 hours away from a mouthwatering dinner.
My husband has deemed this his new favorite recipe for pot roast. I might have to agree with him. There’s something about that hint of heat from cooking it with the peperoncini peppers. Don’t worry. The heat is subtle enough that kids don’t mind, but adults really appreciate all the different tastebuds it’s utilizing. YUM! You are going to love this SUPER SIMPLE and DELICIOUS recipe!
Other Slow-Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
- Pesto Ranch Chicken
- Pineapple Salsa Chicken aka Mexican Delight
- Balsamic Pork Loin
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Hobo Dinner
- Teriyaki Meatballs
STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS OF HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST
Frequently Asked Questions about how to make Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
what is the best type of roast to use?
A beef chuck roast is best because it is marbled with fat, making the roast tender, juicy, and full of flavor.
do I have to brown the roast before adding it to the slow cooker?
No, there is no need to brown the roast first.
what should I serve with the pot roast?
We like to eat it on buns or over mashed potatoes or rice. The roast would also go well with baked potatoes, roasted vegetables, or even a salad.
can I use ranch dressing from a bottle in place of the ranch packet?
I do not recommend using bottled ranch dressing in place of the packet because its flavors will become diluted. The butter will melt and the chuck roast will release liquid as it cooks, making enough liquid for the ranch packet.
do the peperoncini peppers make the roast spicy?
The peperoncini peppers add a subtle, tangy heat that kids usually don’t mind, but adults really appreciate all the different tastebuds it’s utilizing.
does it matter if the butter is salted?
A lot of recipes use unsalted butter, but I used salted butter, and it wasn’t too salty for our family. Depending upon your preference, you can use unsalted or salted butter. Some people leave the butter out, but I recommend adding the butter because it adds another delicious level of flavor.
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 (1.5 ounce) ranch packet or 3 tbsp of Hidden Valley Ranch Powder
- 1 (8.7 ounce) brown gravy packet
- 3-4 peperoncini peppers
- 1-2 tbsp juice from the peperoncini bottle
- ¼ cup butter
- Place the pot roast in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the ranch packet over the roast.
- Next, sprinkle the brown gravy packet over the roast.
- Place 3-4 peperoncini peppers on top and drizzle 1-2 tbsp of the juice from the peperoncini bottle.
- Lastly, put slices or dollops of ¼ cup butter on top.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours. If you need to speed it up, cook on high for the first two hours, and then turn it down to low for 4 hours.
- After cooking time is up, use two forks to shred the meat.
- Serve it on broiled cheese buns (as pictured above), over mashed potatoes, or over rice.