I think this Slow Cooker Pesto Ranch Chicken, and other slow cooker recipes like it, are going to save me this year.
With schools back in session and fall sports in full swing, dinner is getting pretty scary at our house. I don’t even want to admit how many times we’ve eaten pancakes in the last two weeks because I keep forgetting that we really have to leave the house at 5:30. And I haven’t been pulling it together to make sure what was planned for dinner is actually started in time to be ready to eat before we leave.
All this is making it very clear that I need more slow cooker recipes that I can throw together in the morning, and like magic, they will be ready to eat before we have to run kids in all different directions.
I’ve been polling everyone I know or sit by at practice, or that comes to my door for one reason or another, what their favorite slow cooker recipes are.
More Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Schedules
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Workman’s Roast Crock Pot Recipe
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken aka Mexican Delight
- Pulled Pork with Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken Stew
Last week I asked Trever’s speech therapist what her favorite slow cooker recipes were. I happened to have everything on hand to try one of her suggestions, and it was a total hit with the family.
She usually uses chicken thighs when she makes it, but I only had chicken breasts on hand, so I used them, and it was delicious! I’m excited to try it with chicken thighs next time I make it.
Photos for How to Make Slow Cooker Pesto Ranch Chicken
The kids all gave it two thumbs up, and so did my husband. We will definitely be adding this to our rotation of favorite, easy dinners.
I love that the ingredients are all things you can keep on hand in your pantry and freezer. All you need to make this yummy dinner is a Ranch packet, ½ cup of your favorite pesto, chicken thighs or chicken breasts, and a cup of chicken broth.
Tips for How to Make Slow Cooker Pesto Ranch Chicken
- Lacey (the speech therapist) also mentioned that she has used both bone-in and boneless thighs. When she uses bone-in, she removes the bones when she shreds the meat and adds the shredded meat back into the flavorful juices.
- I didn’t have chicken broth on hand, so I just added a tsp of chicken bouillon and a cup of water.
- We serve it over white rice with a side of veggies.
- If you have leftovers, use them later in the week by adding them to a bottle of Alfredo sauce and serving it over fettuccine noodles.
Serve this recipe with
- 3-4 lbs of chicken thighs or breasts (I prefer boneless, but bone-in will work, too.)
- ½ cup of your favorite pesto
- 1 dry Ranch packet
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 tsp chicken bouillon and 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker and stir/spread everything until the chicken is equally covered with the seasonings.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Using two forks, pull the cooked meat apart until it is nicely shredded.
- Serve over a bed of fluffy white rice.
- ***If you have leftovers, use them later in the week by adding them to a bottle of Alfredo sauce and serving it over fettuccine noodles.