I think this Slow Cooker Pesto Ranch Chicken, and other slow cooker recipes like it, are going to save me this year.
With schools back in session and fall sports in full swing, dinner is getting pretty scary at our house. I don’t even want to admit how many times we’ve eaten pancakes in the last two weeks, because I keep forgetting that we really have to leave the house at 5:30. And I haven’t been pulling it together to make sure what was planned for dinner is actually started in time to be ready to eat before we leave.
All this is making it very clear that I need more slow cooker recipes that I can throw together in the morning, and like magic, they will be ready to eat before we have to run kids in all different directions.
I’ve been polling everyone I know, or sit by at practice, or that come to my door for one reason or another, what their favorite slow cooker recipes are.
Last week I asked Trever’s speech therapist what her favorite slow cooker recipes were. I happened to have everything on hand to try one of her suggestions, and it was a total hit with the family.
She usually uses chicken thighs when she makes it, but I only had chicken breasts on hand, so I used them, and it was delicious! I’m excited to try it with chicken thighs next time I make it.
The kids all gave it two thumbs up, and so did my husband. We will definitely be adding this to our rotation of favorite, easy dinners.
I love that the ingredients are all things you can keep on hand in your pantry and freezer. All you need to make this yummy dinner is a Ranch packet, a ½ cup of your favorite pesto, chicken thighs or chicken breasts and a cup of chicken broth (I didn’t have chicken broth on hand, so I just added a tsp of chicken bouillon and a cup of water).
We served it over white rice with a side of veggies.
**One more thing – Lacey (the speech therapist) also mentioned that she has used both bone-in and boneless thighs. When she uses bone-in, she removes the bones when she shreds the meat and adds the shredded meat back into the flavorful juices.
Serve this recipe with
- 3-4 lbs of chicken thighs or breasts (I prefer boneless, but bone-in will work too)
- ½ cup of your favorite pesto
- 1 dry Ranch packet
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 tsp chicken bouillon and one cup water
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker and stir/spread everything until the chicken is equally covered with the seasonings.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for four hours or low for 6-8.
- Using two forks, pull the cooked meat apart until it is nicely shredded.
- Serve over a bed of fluffy white rice.
- ***If you have leftovers, use them later in the week by adding them to a bottle of alfredo sauce and serving it over fettuccine noodles.