Just in time for Thanksgiving, I’ve got a fun and delicious side dish for you. It’s extra fun to make because you get to smash the brussel sprouts. Even people who claim not to like brussels sprouts find themselves reaching for just one more when these little bundles of health and parmesan cheese are on the table. We’ve started to have quite an appreciation for the brussel sprouts at our house. Our other favorite way to eat them is this recipe for Brussel Sprouts with Bacon.
The brussel sprouts need to boil for about 10 minutes before they are ready to be smashed. If your brussels sprouts are huge, you might need to add another minute or two. You don’t want them too soft, but you do want to be able to smash them with the bottom of a cup. Once they are smashed, you put a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and then a generous pinch of shredded Parmesan cheese on each one. If you want to, you can even shake on other seasonings like garlic or onion powder. Bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, and you’re in business!
These little cuties are so yummy! I can’t wait for you to give them a try!
Delicious Side Dishes for the Holidays
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Company Cauliflower
- Sausage and Apple Cornbread Stuffing
- Yummy Funeral Potatoes
- Sunshine Salad
Step-by-Step Photos for How to Make Smashed Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
Frequently Asked Questions about How to Make Smashed Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
When are brussel sprouts in Season?
You can buy them year-round, but they are in peak season from October to November, making them a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving.
How long do fresh brussel sprouts last in the refrigerator?
For up to two weeks stored in the crisper drawer.
How should you clean and prepare the brussel sprouts
Wash the brussel sprouts and remove any damaged, wilted, or yellow leaves. Then, trim off the tough stem at the bottom of each brussel sprout. Make sure not to cut the stems totally off, or they will fall apart.
Do I need to smash the brussel sprouts?
For this recipe, I recommend you smash them. If you do not want to do that, try this Roasted Parmesan Brussels Sprouts recipe instead with the same ingredients.
Can I use pre-shredded Parmesan cheese?
Yes. Either freshly shredded or pre-shredded Parmesan cheese works.
What should I serve the brussel sprouts with?
- 2 lbs Brussel Sprouts, cleaned and ready to boil
- Olive Oil
- Salt or Coarse Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic or Onion Powder (optional)
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper, a Silpat mat, or spray it with cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water with 1-2 tsp of salt.
- Once the water is boiling add the brussel sprouts to the water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and place the brussel sprouts on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use the back of a cup to smash each brussel sprout.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Next, put a generous pinch of shredded parmesan on each brussel sprout.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.