Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
I made this soup last night for a church activity I attended. It turned out really yummy and some of the other ladies wanted the recipe, so I thought I would share it here with you too.
The great thing about this soup isn’t just that it’s tasty, it’s super healthy too! Lots of fiber, protein and great vitamins all throughout!
I made some adaptions to a recipe I had seen on Two Peas and Their Pod.
The soup is a bit spicy….not the burn your mouth off kind, just a little kick. If you aren’t into kick you could use mild Rotel instead of original or you could even just use regular diced tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large segments of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper or pablono pepper, chopped (I roasted mine in the toaster oven, it took about 8-10 minutes I cut it in half and rubbed a little olive oil on it. when it was done I peeled the blistered skin off and chopped it up.) Another option is to use canned roasted red pepper.
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cans cannellini beans, Blend one up or smash as finely as you can, it will be for thickening the soup.
- 2 cans Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Italian dressing (can use a ½ tsp dry Italian salad dressing mix and a small dash or red wine vinegar in it's place.)
- In a large pot saute onion in olive oil until tender. Salt and pepper it while it cooks
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add roasted pepper, tomatoes, black beans and one can of Cannellini beans (the not blended one), broth, water, chili powder, and cumin.
- Bring soup mixture to a boil, turn down and let simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add Italian Dressing, the blended or smashed can of cannellini beans and Cilantro. Stir well.
- Add salt, and pepper to taste.
- **Depending on the broth you use, you may want to add a little chicken or veggie bullion
- Can be served alone or with corn chips, avocado, sour cream and cheese.
Isn’t soup the best!!! I’m making another one of my favorites tomorrow, Sausage and Kale Cannellini Soup. It’s so simple, you are going to love it!
And if you need some Italian Dressing for the soup, this is my favorite recipe for it. Italian Salad Dressing Mix.
Keep it Real!!!