Ready Set Eat kept popping up on my Facebook page. It looked so good so I popped over and checked out the recipe along with all of the reviews. I had to give it a try.
I used my favorite homemade taco seasoning mix in place of a taco seasoning packet and made a couple minor changes to suit it to my families tastes. It’s a WINNER!
We all loved it and it was so simple, it’s basically a from scratch hamburger helper recipe, one pot, thirty minutes and dinner is served.
I decided to brown some chopped onion and a grated carrot with the beef and I added a chicken bullion cube (with the water) to add more flavor. Using a homemade taco seasoning mix also gave me a little more control over the flavor.
We love it! It taste awesome with the sour cream mixed in, a little garnish of cilantro and some tortilla chips crushed on top.
Fast, simple, skillet dinners are a busy mom’s best friend! This one is my new bestie!
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 large carrot gratted
- ½ a medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and diced green chilies, I drain it but if you want it extra spicy don't drain it and leave out ¼ cup of the water called for in the later part of the recipe
- 1 packet taco seasoning, I use this easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix, see link under recipe
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2¾ cup water
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken into fourths
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- Tortilla chips and chopped cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and grated carrot until cooked, about 7-8 minutes
- Add taco seasoning, beef bullion cube, Rotel tomatoes and Diced green chilies, broken up spaghetti noodles and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Cover with air tight lid, turn down to medium heat and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- You can add the sour cream at this point and serve or you can choose to serve the sour cream separately and let people put as much as they prefer on their own portion.
- We really like it with sour cream, tortilla chips and cilantro.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
I couldn’t stop sneaking a taste while I was taking pictures….so good!
Keep it Real!!!
OK, question: Why not use a beef bouillon cube (I prefer “Better Than Bouillon, personally – you might try it) instead of chicken, since it’s a beef dish? Are you trying to make another flavor dimension, perhaps? I’m really interested!
Hi Eri, too funny, I am so glad you commented and brought that to my attention. It should be a beef bullion cube. I have fixed it in the recipe. Thank you! 🙂