I made some AWESOME Tart Lemon Bars last week…
They are so tart and delicious. I have thought about them everyday since I finished off the last one. That’s the sign of a good recipe. Definitely a keeper!
These are the kind of good that makes it almost impossible to not eat the whole pan yourself.
So here’s a shout out to all my fellow lemon lovers! This ones for you.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), very soft
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ heaping cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ -1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice, or to taste (about 2 juicy medium lemons; see note below)
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half (can substitute: 1 tbsp sour cream + 1 tbsp milk or 2 tbsp evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest loosely packed
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add all dry ingredients for crust together in a mixing bowl. Drizzle on vanilla extract.
- Using a pastry cutter cut butter into dry ingredients (or use your hand) until it is very crumbly when you squish it in your hand it should hold together.
- Dump Crumbly mixture into prepared 8×8 pan and press down evenly and firmly on bottom of pan. (I put my hand inside of a plastic sandwich bag to keep this less messy)
- Bake crust in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. You don’t want it to be browned or even golden just barely set. I only baked mine for 13 minutes.
- While crust is baking, mix up the filling.
- Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, half and half, flour, sugar and eggs and whisk until all lumps are gone.
- Pour filling mixture onto pre-baked crust and immediately return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top has just set and is not jiggly.
- Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar.
- Cut into small squares and Enjoy!