I try to always have pre-cooked chicken in my freezer and tortillas and black or pinto beans on hand because I make some form of tortilla, chicken, beans…aka burritos, tacos, enchiladas….at least once a week.
I have an awesome recipe for a Giant Enchilada that my family loves, but when I went to make it last week, I realized I didn’t have any enchilada sauce and making some from scratch wasn’t going to happen, so I improvised and through this stack together. It took just a few minutes to throw together and a bout 35 minutes in the oven. And isn’t it pretty?
It was delicious and the kids thought it was so cool!
I have to admit it was a bit tricky to slice up, I had to use a serrated knife and put a fork in one side (sort of like you do when you cut a steak) to keep the layers form sliding apart while I was cutting,
And as far as eating it goes….there is no wrong way to eat an enchilada stack. One of my kids picked it up like a sandwich, two ate it in layers and Sim and I used a fork.
This is an easy way to bring a little variety and fun to the dinner table. I’ve included a few pictures of assembly along with the recipe and directions.
- 1 15 oz.can or 2 cups black beans, drained
- 1 small can Rotel, mild and drained
- 1 cup precooked chicken breast, shredded or cubed
- 1½ cups frozen corn or 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
- ⅓ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Plablono pepper, seeded and finely chopped. (a seeded jalapeno will also work.)
- 2 large segments of garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- The Juice of ½ a lime (about 1½ tbsp)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 5 regular size flour tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese, divided
- Avocado and cilantro for garnish, optional
- ***if you have Pampered Chef's Chipolte Rub, you can use a tbsp of it in place of the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and black pepper.****
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a large cookie sheet and set aside
- In a large microwave safe bowl combine, beans, rotel, chicken, corn, onion, plablono pepper, and garlic mix well and microwave for 4 minutes stirring after two minutes
- Add sour cream, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and ½ cup of shredded cheese to filling mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Start assembling stack by placing one tortilla on center of cookie sheet. Spread ¼ of the mixture evenly over tortilla, top with a tortilla and another ¼ of the filling mixture. Continue this process until you have 5 tortilla layers and 4 filling layers.
- Cover stack tightly with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove foil and top with remaining one cup of shredded cheese and return to oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Top with chopped avocodo and cilantro if desired.
Start assembling stack by placing one tortilla on center of cookie sheet.
Spread 1/4 of the mixture evenly over tortilla, top with a tortilla and another 1/4 of the filling mixture.
Continue this process until you have 5 tortilla layers and 4 filling layers.
Cover stack tightly with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes remove foil and top with remaining one cup of shredded cheese and return to oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted
Keep it Real!!!