We have an adopted Grandma that we met when we lived in NJ. We adopted her and she adopted us, I can’t really remember how or when it happened, but it happened and we LOVE having a third Grandma.
The best part is she lives a lot closer then our other grandparents so she comes to visit us every couple months and we occasionally invade her space with all six of us….yikes, she’s a good sport.
She is also an awesome cook! Last time we were at her house she made the absolute BEST CHILI I HAD EVER HAD IN MY LIFE! I begged her to tell me exactly how she made it and she ever so kindly did, so now I can share it with you.
It’s a hearty, meaty chili and it has a nice kick to it. She used hot italian sausage in hers for part of the meat so it was extra hot. When I made it for my family I used sweet Italian sausage so it wasn’t as hot. But even with the sweet this recipe has a nice amount of heat. My kids didn’t complain, but I think they would have (well everyone but Thatcher…he likes heat) if I would have used the Hot Sausage.
I could gush for hours about how much I love this chili, it is truly the best chili I’ve ever had! There’s something a little interesting about it that I didn’t see coming….it is, in part, seasoned with a taco seasoning packet. WHAT??!!!
I would have never guessed it had a taco seasoning packet in it. Give this delish recipe a try and see if you don’t come away screaming that you have a new favorite chili recipe. I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE CHILI RECIPE!!!!!!!!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, approx 2 tbsp crushed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 links sweet Italian Sausage, remove casings. (use hot Italian sausage if you like lots of heat)
- 1 (29 ounce) can of plum tomatoes(you chop them) or just get regular diced tomatoes if you don't want the trouble
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (1.25) ounce packet of McCormick Hot Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- In a large pot, Saute the diced onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes add garlic and saute 1 more minute
- add ground beef and sausages with casings removed.
- Cook until meat is cooked through
- Add all other ingredients and allow chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes
- Serve with corn chips and cheese if desired.