I am so excited to share The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe with you! Creamy and perfectly flavored with a hint of your favorite Italian herbs. It has just the right amount of garlic and Parmesan cheese. It tastes like it’s from your favorite Italian restaurant. A true gem of a recipe you’ll find yourself craving! Not in the mood for Alfredo? Try this Amazing Spaghetti Sauce.
I love to eat this delicious alfredo sauce plain over fettuccini noodles, but of course it’s delicious served with chicken or shrimp too. We also love the way broccoli goes with this sauce. So good!
With butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese being the main ingredients, it’s not exactly diet food….but boy or boy is it worth the splurge from time to time. I hope you try it soon, it’s FANTASTIC!
More Italian Favorites:
- Stuffed Shells
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- The Best Italian Meatballs
- Spaghetti Pasta Salad
- Homemade Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Step by Step Pictures for How to Make the Best HOmemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions about making The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Is it okay to use half and half instead of cream?
With a calorie heavy recipe like this, it is tempting to want to cut out some of the fat, but with this dish, the creaminess and the thickness of the sauce will be drastically affected if you replace the cream with half and half. Okay, that might have been a bit dramatic. How about this: if you sub half and half for cream only sub 1/2 a cup to 3/4 cup of it and be prepared for the sauce to be a little runnier.
Should I use Fresh grated Parmesan or is The kraft kind in the green bottle okay?
Fresh grated is best in this recipe, but the Kraft kind works well too. The type I buy here in Germany is in a bag and comes in rough shards. I usually run it through my food processor before adding it to the sauce.
Can I use bottled Garlic or does it need to be fresh?
Again, I’m going to say fresh is best here as well, but the bottled garlic will work fine. You will want to use 2-2 1/2 tsp.
Can I make this Alfredo Sauce in advance?
This sauce is super fast to mix up and can be a little tricky to reheat without having the fats separate. If at all possible, I would suggest making other things in advance and saving this to prepare right before serving. The other option is to make it a few hours before it is needed and keep it warm in a slow cooker.
What is the best way to reheat the sauce if I need to reheat it?
Slowly over very low heat. High temperatures will cause the fats from the cream and cheese to separate and it won’t have the same creaminess.
How Many People does this recipe serve?
This amount of sauce is usually enough for 6 adults as the main dish or 8-9 adults if it is being used as a side dish.
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 tsp crushed garlic, approx. 2-3 small cloves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp + a pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ cups freshly grated parmesan (approx. 5-6 ounces)
- 1 pkg fettuccini noodles cooked according to package directions (don't forget to salt the water)
- Boil your water and cook your Fettuccini noodles while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, in a medium sized sauté pan, sauté the garlic and butter over medium high heat for 1 minute or until it is softened and fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, salt, Italian Seasoning and ground pepper. Bring to a boil, turn heat down a little and allow to simmer/boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the parmesan cheese. Keep whisking/stirring as it simmers for 3-5 more minutes. It will thicken slightly.
- That's it. It's ready to serve. YUM!
- You can either ladle it over noodles or toss it into the entire pot of noodles once they have been drained. Don't forget you can add chicken or shrimp to make this a main dish!