If I had to pick only one dessert to eat every fall, it would definitely be these pumpkin squares. I have a few amazing pumpkin square recipes on the blog, but this classic recipe is the base of all of them. So, if you are looking for a recipe for The Best Pumpkin Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting, look no further, this is it!
If you haven’t tried them yet, you really need to try the other pumpkin square recipes on my site too. Amazing Pumpkin Squares with Burnt Butter Cinnamon Icing and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are both fantastic! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
More Must-Try Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- The Best Pumpkin Pie
- The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Pecan Crunch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Step-by-step pictures for how to make the best pumpkin squares with cream cheese frosting
Frequently Asked Questions about how to make The Best Pumpkin Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting
Can these be made with GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR?
Yes, a good gluten-free flour blend works great in this recipe.
Can I use WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes. It’s actually my favorite way to make them. It gives them just a little more texture and reminds me of one of my favorite treats at The Old Grist Mill Bread Company when I was in college. They are great with all-purpose flour too, but everyone should try them with whole wheat flour at least once.
Can these be made ahead and frozen?
Yes. If I freeze them ahead of time, I prefer to leave the frosting off and frost them just before serving. It’s fine to freeze them with the frosting on, but depending on how you wrap/cover them in the freezer, there is a risk the frosting could pull off.
If I don’t have nutmeg can I sub something else?
If you don’t have nutmeg, it is okay to leave it out. They will still be delicious!
Can I leave the cream cheese out of the frosting?
If you are allergic or if you hate cream cheese, you can leave it out. I suggest using the frosting recipe on the Amazing Pumpkin Squares with Burnt Butter Cinnamon Icing in place of the cream cheese frosting. It’s so yummy and a great alternative.
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13"x 18" cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until creamy.
- Next, add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Place softened butter and softened cream cheese in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to cream them together.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly over completely cooled bars. (See picture for a tip on spreading frosting easier.)
- Keep bars refrigerated.
Delicious Soups for Cold Days