I’ve done it! I’ve really done it. After years of making Rice Krispie Treats, I think I’ve finally found my way to The Best Rice Krispie Treats in the entire world! I promise I am not being dramatic. The marshmallow to crunch ratio, the not-too-soft/not-too-hard chew, the hint of salt that elevates the entire experience…and just look at that marshmallow pull! THESE ARE THE BEST! To try my favorite treat in the whole world, make these Caramel Corn Puffs.
Part of why I am sooooo excited about this recipe is that it fits perfectly in a 9×13 pan. My old go-to recipe was for a 9×13 pan, but they always felt too thin for my liking. I fine-tuned the ratios in this one, and it is perfect. Seriously, I can’t wait for you to try these!
I have all the tips for you from why adding salt is a must in my opinion, to what temperature you should be melting the marshmallows at. Once you try these, you will never go back to the way you used to make Rice Krispie Treats.
Don’t forget about all the other delicious Rice Krispie Treat recipes on my site, but, man, when you need just a basic old-school Rice Krispie Treat, there just isn’t a better one out there!
Delicious Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
- Crazy Good Caramel Rice Crispies
- Snicker Bar Rice Krispies Treats
- Chocolate Scotcheroo Rice Krispie Treats
- S’mores Rice Krispy Treats Recipe
- Amazing Samoa Rice Krispie Treats
- Chewy Caramel Rice Crispy Treats with Chocolate Chips
Step-by-step pictures of how to make the best Rice Krispie Treats
Tips for making The Best Rice Krispie Treats in the world!
- Reserve 2 cups of mini marshmallows to mix in at the end. Makes them pretty and extra chewy.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt. This might sound crazy, but once you taste the way the salt enhances the overall flavor, you will never be able to go back to Rice Krispies Treats without salt. Promise!
- Never go higher than medium-low when melting down the marshmallows. If you cook the marshmallows at too high of a heat, the sugars will cook too far and make the Rice Krispie Treats more crunchy than chewy. The lower the temp, the softer the Rice Krispie Treats. I find that medium-low makes them have the perfect chew and the perfect marshmallow pull.
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 2 (10 ounce) bags mini marshmallows, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- 7 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- Measure out 7 cups of Rice Krispie Cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, add the 6 tbsp butter and 1 bag + ⅔ of the second bag of mini marshmallows to a 4--5 quart pot and turn the burner on to medium-low heat. On my stove, the burners go from 1-9. I set mine at 4. (Set aside the remaining marshmallows, approx. 2 cups, for later.)
- Use the wrapper from the butter to butter a glass 9x13 baking dish. If needed, use more butter or you can just spray it with cooking spray.
- Add the ¼ tsp salt to the marshmallow mixture and continue to melt and stir the marshmallows until all marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in the 7 cups of cereal. Mix until well coated.
- Next, add the remaining mini marshmallows and stir them in. Move quickly here so they don't melt too much.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 9x13 dish and use the butter wrapper to press down on the Rice Krispies, or you can butter your hand. This helps the Rice Krispies not stick to your hand.
- Press down firmly and try to make the Rice Krispies as even as possible.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
Chex Mix Recipes You've Gotta Try!