By the show of hands, who has made my Classic Meatloaf Recipe? If you haven’t, you’ve really got to give it a try. It’s the most popular recipe on my site. And, lucky you, I’ve just made it even easier to make for dinner on busy nights! I’m showing you how to make it in the slow cooker, and you better believe it’s definitely The Best Slow Cooker Meatloaf!
There is something so special about this simple meatloaf recipe. It’s a nostalgic flavor that people keep coming back to tell me they love. It’s also made with super simple ingredients. As you can see with my Stuffed Meatloaf and Cheeseburger Meatloaf recipes, it’s really easy to use as a base for any kind of meatloaf you want to make. I am so excited to show you how simple this is to make in the slow cooker. Depending on what time you need it on the table, you can choose low for six hours or high for four hours. Easy peasy!
- Classic Scalloped Potatoes
- Spinach Poppy Seed Salad
- Ranch Dressing with Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Golden Potatoes
- Best Ever Banana Bundt Cake
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake
Step-by-Step Photos for How to Make The Best Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips about How to Make The Best Slow Cooker Meatloaf
WHAT SUBSTITUTES CAN I USE IN PLACE OF THE OATMEAL?
Using the same measurement as the oatmeal, you can use breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs.
FOR THE GLAZE, WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF THE KETCHUP?
If you don’t have ketchup, you can try adding tomato sauce to the brown sugar and mustard, or you can spread salsa or barbecue sauce on top.
DO YOU RECOMMEND USING GROUND TURKEY IN PLACE OF THE GROUND BEEF?
Making meatloaf using meats with a lower fat content like ground turkey usually results in a dry texture. I recommend using ground beef because it will be more tender, moist, and flavorful. You could use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork if desired.
- Don’t skip the important step to use a slow cooker liner or tinfoil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Only take about 30-45 seconds to combine the ground beef mixture together until it is thoroughly mixed. You don’t want to overmix because the meatloaf will turn out dry and tough.
- Make sure to put two pieces of bread in the bottom of the slow cooker before you add the raw meatloaf. The bread absorbs the grease while it is cooking.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 onion, finely diced (or grate it if your kids will freak out if they see a piece of onion)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 slices of sandwich bread
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oatmeal, milk, egg, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well using your hands, making sure to incorporate everything into the meat. This only takes 30-45 seconds. You do not want to overmix it.
- Put a Slow Cooker Liner in your slow cooker. If you don't have a liner, you can use foil, but be sure to spray it with cooking spray.
- Place the two slices of sandwich bread on the bottom of the liner. (The bread absorbs the grease while the meatloaf is cooking.)
- Transfer the meat into the slow cooker on top of the sliced bread and press it down evenly across the bottom.
- For the glaze, mix the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in a small bowl. Pour evenly over the meatloaf.
- Cook on low for six hours or high for four hours.
- When serving the meatloaf be careful not to get the bread slices. Leave them in the bottom of the slow cooker and throw them out with the liner or tinfoil.
Don't forget Dessert