This is a recipe I got from my sister! I love how simple it is, how basic the ingredients are and yet it is so tasty! As good as it is on day one, it’s even better the next day!
You can’t go wrong with this soup. It is a perfect way to use up leftover ham after the holiday’s, and a perfect warm and comforting meal on these cold winter nights.
Thick and Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
Make some rolls or grab a loaf of french bread to go with this hearty soup and it will warm you right up on these cold winter nights.
Author: My sister's college roomate
Recipe type: Soup
- 2½-3 cups onion, small diced (I know it sounds like a lot of onion, but do it anyway)
- 5 lbs russet or white potatoes, peeled and cut into half inch cubes
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced ham, (make sure it is precooked ham, I usually use leftover ham)
- Salt and pepper
- Milk (optional)
- In a large soup pot saute the onion in the butter until soft
- Add in cubed potatoes and fill pot with water until potatoes are just covered
- Add about 1½ - 2 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
- Bring pot to boil and then turn down to a simmer.
- While soup is simmering stir it every 5 minutes or so. You will see that the potatoes are starting to break down and thicken the soup.
- Let it simmer for at least an hour, longer if you want.
- Add in shredded cheese and ham, you can add a little milk if it seems thicker then you would like.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with favorite bread or rolls
I like to serve this soup with Artisian Bread or 1 Hour Rolls.
Keep it Real!
Excellent recipe!!! I added carrots and threw in my left over turkey from Christmas, along with the ham. Delicious!!!!!
Great idea, sounds delicious!
This is so delicious!
Thank you! We haven’t had this one in a while, I need to make it before the winter is over.
I threw in carrots and pre-cooked bacon (from costco)! And also made it in my slow cooker with added milk. Turned out great! #Septembergiveaway
Yum! Love hearing it worked well in the slow cooker!
Making this right now. We are putting bacon on top. Yummy
# February giveaway