Toasted Coconut Swig Cookie Bars combine one of the most delicious sugar cookie bars known to man (Swig Sugar Cookie Bars) with creamy coconut frosting and a topping of perfectly toasted coconut! Where are my coconut lovers at? Y’all are going to lose your minds! The texture, the flavor, the smell…this cookie bar is EVERYTHING!
I can’t believe I never thought of doing this before. I love coconut desserts, and I love my Swig Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe. So it was really only a matter of time before my brain sent me the message to give this combo a try! The message came over Memorial Day Weekend when I was trying to think of a dessert to make for our annual barbeque. Needless to say, the combo was a HUGE HIT, and they were quickly devoured!
I strongly urge, encourage, and beg you to make these for your 4th of July celebration or any excuse you can come up with in the coming week. If you love coconut, this will be a new favorite.
More Recipes for the Coconut Lovers
- Dreamy Toasted Coconut Bundt Cake
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Lazy Day Chocolate Coconut Cake
- Coconut Cream Pie Pastry Bites
- Two Ingredient Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Coconut Rice
STEP-BY-STEP photos on how to make toasted coconut swig cookie bars
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips about how to make Toasted Coconut Swig Cookie Bars
do you recommend adding the optional 1/2 cup shredded coconut?
Adding 1/2 cup shredded coconut to the batter makes the bars sweeter, so some prefer to leave it out. There will still be plenty of coconut flavor in the bars if you leave it out.
what’s the best way to spread/press the cookie dough into the pan?
When spreading and pressing the cookie mixture evenly into the greased 9×13 pan, I like to use a sandwich baggie on my hand. Spray baggie with cooking spray if necessary.
- Do not overbake or the bars will turn out dry.
- Let the bars cool completely before frosting them.
- I like to toast the coconut while the bars are baking. Click on How to Toast Coconut in the Microwave to use my easy method for toasting coconut.
- Use a large glass microwave-safe bowl when toasting the coconut, so that it does not spill over when it is stirred.
- Make sure the toasted coconut is completely cooled before sprinkling it on top of the frosting.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of dough before baking
- 1¼ cup shredded coconut, toasted (for topping)
- FROSTING RECIPE:
- ½ cup softened butter
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce cream cheese (optional)
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, thoroughly cream butter, oil, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until combined.
- Add egg, water, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Mix until well combined.
- Next, add flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix for approx. 1 minute or until completely combined.
- Spread/press the cookie mixture evenly into the greased 9x13 pan.
- Evenly sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over the uncooked bars before placing them in the oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until edges are just barely turning a light brown. Do not overbake or the bars will be dry. My oven takes 16 minutes.
- Let cool completely and frost with the frosting recipe and top with toasted coconut before cutting and serving.
- DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING:
- Place butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese (optional), salt, and coconut extract in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer or whisk. Add in the milk or cream until nice and smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the completely cooled cookie bars.
- Once the bars are frosted, top with toasted coconut.
- *TO TOAST THE COCONUT: Place 1¼ cup coconut in a glass microwave-safe bowl. Make sure the bowl is big enough that you will be able to stir the coconut without spilling it over the edge.
- Place the bowl of coconut into the microwave and microwave for 1 minute. Take out and stir well.
- Return the bowl of coconut to the microwave and cook for 20-30 seconds, take out, and stir well.
- Repeat that step of heating for 20-30 seconds and stirring until coconut reaches desired toastiness. Make sure coconut is completely cooled before sprinkling onto the frosting. (I like to toast the coconut while the bars are cooking.)
No-Bake Treats You've Gotta Try!