A few years ago a neighbor brought us a fun and unique Christmas treat. She brought two cans of coconut milk and a bag of chocolate chips with a little card that told us how to prepare it as hot chocolate. It was pretty exciting to get that Two Ingredient Coconut Hot Chocolate recipe and we’ve enjoyed making it during the holidays ever since.
Using the coconut milk makes for a thick and very rich hot chocolate. It’s a decadent treat you can tailor to your preference with milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
It’s a little rich for my kids so they like to add a little regular milk or almond milk to thin theirs out. Their little palates aren’t quite ready for such a luscious version of hot chocolate. However, they sure love to drink it out of our special, coveted Christmas market mugs we’ve been collecting here in Germany.
More Yummy Coconut Recipes
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Lazy Day Coconut Cake
- Chocolate Dipped Coconut Cream Easter Eggs
- Dreamy Toasted Coconut Bundt Cake
- Coconut Cream Pie Pastry Bites
- Coconut Rice
How to make two ingredient coconut hot chocolate
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Two Ingredient Coconut Hot Chocolate
Can I use lite Coconut Milk?
Yes. Using the lite will actually make the texture a little thinner and definitely cut down on the calories per serving if that’s something you want to do. It is definitely more decadent using the full fat coconut milk.
Will Any type of chocolate chips work?
Technically, yes. Just make sure when you’re heating them you do it slowly so that you don’t seize the chocolate.
is there a way to make this recipe vegan?
Of course! Just choose your favorite bag of vegan chocolate chips and follow the recipe as normal.
can this recipe be made in the slow cooker?
Technically, yes but you’ll need to watch it and stir it often. I also suggest putting the coconut milk in first and sprinkling the chocolate on top of it so that as the milk heats first, you have less risk of the chocolate seizing. Another option is to prepare it on the stove and put it in the slow cooker to keep it warm.
how many servings does this recipe make?
Six to eight 6 ounce servings.
- 2 (13.5 oz.) cans coconut milk
- 1 (12 oz.) package of chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi-sweet)
- In a medium sized sauce pan, combine the coconut milk and the chocolate chips.
- Heat them, stirring regularly, over medium-low heat.
- Continue heating and stirring until chocolate chips are completely melted and integrated into the coconut milk.
- Serve hot with marshmallows.
- If you want to thin out the hot chocolate, add a little almond milk or regular milk.
More Decadent Treats You'll Love