Vegetable Beef Soup with Barley and Kale
This healthy soup is comforting and full of tons of awesome flavor. Barley is a hearty addition that really gives some substance to this vegetable based soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb top round steak, cubed (can use any cut of beef you prefer or even hamburger)
- 3-4 stalks celery, large sliced
- 2-3 small or medium potatoes, large diced
- 4-5 carrots, large sliced
- 1 29 ounce can diced tomatoes + 1 can water
- 2-3 cups water
- 1½ cups cooked Barley*
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1½ cups frozen green beans
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning (can use a pinch of basil, thyme, parsley and oregano, if you don’t have italian seasoning)
- 3 tsp beef bullion**
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper (approx ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper)
- Heat oil in large soup pan and add onions, garlic and beef cubes. Generously salt and pepper and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add potatoes, carrots and Celery and beef bullion, and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly so veggies won’t stick to bottom of pan.
- Add diced tomatoes, water (just enough to cover soup ingredients by about an inch), italian seasoning and cooked barley. Bring to a boil and then take it down to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. (add more water if necessary during cooking process.)
- When veggies are tender, add frozen peas and green beans and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes or until beans and peas are tender.
- Taste broth and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with rolls or crackers.
So Flavorful and so Healthy!
Keep it Real!