I’m pretty darn excited about these Whole Wheat Grape Nut Banana Muffins. They’re awesome!
A few weeks ago when I was trying to be healthy I purchased a box of Grape Nuts thinking that maybe somehow in the last 10 years they had become delicious….they haven’t, but they are super healthy and full of fiber so I found and alternate way to incorporate them into our diet.
Muffins are my go to snack for the kids, and I love sneaking healthy ingredients in because, basically, my kids will eat anything if I give it to them in the shape of a muffin. So, I came up with this yummy banana muffin recipe that tastes awesome with Grape Nuts in it.
Grape Nuts are just a hint softer than rocks so the first step in the recipe is to soak them in milk. Let them sit for about 15-20 minutes until all the milk is absorbed and they are softened up.
They’ll look like this.
The rest of the recipe is really typical so, without further ado, lets do this!
- 1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil (can use half applesauce, but if you do do not use liners. The muffins stick to liners when you cut out part of the oil)
- ½ cup brown sugar, do not pack
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 over ripe bananas, smashed
- In a bowl combine 1 cup Grape Nuts Cereal with ⅔ cup milk, set aside for 15-20 minutes or until milk is absorbed into cereal.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare muffin tins with liners or with a light coating of cooking spray.
- With a hand mixer or in your stand mixer, combine oil, brown sugar, and regular sugar and eggs
- beat until thoroughly combined
- Add Grape Nuts Mixture and give a quick mix to combine
- Add Salt, baking soda, baking powder, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, mix on low for about 20-30 seconds or until mostly combined, Add smashed bananas and mix for another 20-30 seconds until everything is evenly combined.
- Fill muffin tins ⅔ full with batter (I use a large cookie scoop to do this)
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 375 degrees
- Remove from tins and transfer to a cooling rack
- Store cooled muffins in an air tight container or in a large Ziploc bag.
Healthy kid snacks