If you love my popular Chicken Taco and Rice Skillet Dinner recipe, you are going to love its fraternal twin sister, Zucchini and Beef Taco Skillet. The flavor is just so good, and the recipe is just toooooo easy! I added the zucchini just to make it healthier, but man, I think it really makes the dish! I’m so excited for you to try this one. My oldest son was RAVING, which is always a good sign.
This one is super fun: once you get the hamburger browned, it’s just a matter of adding everything else to the pot, bringing it to a simmer, adding the lid, and waiting for it to magically turn into a delicious dinner!
We love to top it with cheese and serve it with corn chips, but it also tastes great wrapped in a tortilla! Yum! Just typing this up is making me want to add it to our menu this week!
More Must-Make Skillet Recipes
- Creamy Cajun Pasta Skillet will Kielbasa
- Zucchini Taco Skillet
- Kielbasa Rice and Veggie Skillet
- Million Dollar Zucchini Skillet
- Skillet Taco and Rice Dinner
- Chicken Zucchini Skillet with Cannellini Beans
Step-by-step Pictures for how to make Zucchini and Beef Taco Skillet
Frequently Asked Questions for how to make Zucchini and Beef Taco Skillet
Can I use minute Rice?
No. This recipe will not work with minute rice.
can I use grated frozen zucchini?
I haven’t tried using frozen zucchini in this recipe. It should work fine, but will pretty much disappear into the recipe once it cooks, making the texture different than if you use bite-sized pieces of fresh zucchini. Fresh or frozen grated zucchini is a good option for kids who will turn their nose up if they see a piece of zucchini in their dinner.
Is it okay to use yellow squash instead of zucchini?
Yes. Yellow squash and zucchini are interchangeable in this recipe.
What Brand of Salsa do you recommend?
What should I do if the rice isn’t quite done after 25 minutes of simmering?
If the rice isn’t quite done after 25 minutes of simmering, stir it, put the lid back on, and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite (We use medium because we like a little heat.)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2-3 cups fresh zucchini, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup long grain white rice, not cooked
- 1 tbsp beef bullion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2¼ cups water
- cilantro, for garnish, if desired
- In a large skillet that has a lid, brown the hamburger. Salt and pepper it while it cooks. Drain fat, if desired, at this point. If you do drain it, leave a small amount ,like 1 tbsp or add back in 1 tbsp of olive oil. A little fat is needed in this recipe.
- Next, put all remaining ingredients in except the cheese and stir well.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Take off the lid, stir, and sprinkle top with cheese. Return lid and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with corn chips and grated cheese if desired.