I was trying to think of something unique and fun my kids would like for a Valentines Day treat this year……something they could even help make, and I remembered how much I loved Jello Popcorn balls as a kid.
The next thing I knew I was whipping up a batch of these Jello Popcorn Balls with Mini Marshmallows.
The key with these popcorn balls is not to overcook the Jello/caramel stuff. You don’t want it to boil for more then 1.5 – 2 minutes. They will still taste good if you accidentally do 2.5-3 minutes, but they won’t be as chewy and you might loose a filling while you are eating it.
The mini-marshmallows give these fun popcorn balls a nice chewy texture and a slightly creamy flavor.
- 1 small package Strawberry Jello, or flavor of your choice
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup Karo Syrup
- 1 tsp water
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 9 cups popped pop corn
- In a large mixing bowl, combine popcorn and minimarshmallows and set aside
- Prepare a sheet of wax paper to place formed balls on
- In a small sauce pan, combine Strawberry Jello, sugar, butter, karo syrup adn 1 tsp water.
- Cook on medium high heat until mixture comes to a full boil
- Turn burner to medium low (make sure mixture keeps boiling at this temp or turn it up a little) and cook for 1.5-2 minutes. I go the full two minutes. 🙂
- Quickly pour mixture over popcorn and mini marshmallows and stir with a wooden spoon until popcorn is evenly coated.
- with buttered hands, form popcorn into 12 round balls with your hands. Set formed popcorn balls on to wax paper and allow to cool. I like to put each ball in a fold over sandwich bag once they are cooled to help them stay fresh.
colorful the finished popcorn balls are. If you aren’t into popcorn balls try this other recipe for jello flavored popcorn. This recipe is for Crunchy Jello Popcorn.
Keep it Real!!!