Okay friends, you know I very rarely do a sponsored post. In fact, I have a strict policy against it unless I absolutely LOVE the product, think it will benefit my readers and the company is willing to share the love and do a giveaway for my readers.
Well, with or without compensation I was going to do this post because of an experience I had in February. I’ve been using and falling in love with doTerra essential oils ever since and I feel that mom’s everywhere need to know about the benefits of using essential oils.
I’ll start with the story:
Back in February, you may remember I went to a blog conference in Salt Lake City. I took my nursing baby with me and my mom was kind enough to come stay at the motel with us and watch him while I went to my classes.
Trever and I got to Utah a couple days before the blog conference and spent time with my brother’s family. The two nights we were at their house, Trever was a nightmare. He was congested and up, no joke, seven or eight times both nights.
I was a walking zombie, but living off adrenaline.
Immediately upon arriving at the blog conference, I noticed that doTerra Essential Oils was a main sponsor of the event and they had a big room where you could go in and talk to them and try their oils.
I rolled my eyes and thought, “Ugh, I am so not going in there…those oils are such a crock.” (I mean seriously, only weird people use those, right)
Well, as usual I got to eat my words….
Due to the fact that I’d been up in the night so dang many times with Trever…..half way through the day I got a terrible headache. I searched my purse looking for Tylenol or Ibuprofen, but I didn’t have any. As a last resort, I decided to go see if “those oil people” had anything that could help a headache.
They gave me some peppermint oil and had me rub it between my hands and then into my hair line, accross the back of my neck and on my temples, being careful not to get it in my eyes. I went back into my class and couldn’t believe how quickly my headache was gone.
What??? This must be a coincidence…these oils can’t possible work.
….but now I was curious, I couldn’t deny that the peppermint had helped my headache.
As the day went on I found myself absolutely dreading the night. I knew my poor congested baby was going to be up a million times in the night again.
Then it hit me, “Maybe those weird oil people have something that could help my baby with his congestion.” I went into their room again, this time I met an awesome lady named Molly, I told her what was going on and she had just the thing. She whipped out a bottle of the Breathe Blend Oil and told me to rub a drop or two on his feet and then take the residual oil on my palm and gently rub it on his chest before putting him to bed.
HOLY CRAP PEOPLE, you would not believe how much it helped him that night. He only woke up twice, (which was his normal at the time.) My mom and I were BLOWN AWAY. The contrast of his terrible, gargle-ly breathing from the night before verses his restful, quiet sleep that night were nothing short of incredible.
I ran downstairs to tell Molly how much it had helped him and begged her to let me buy it from her (I would have given her anything she wanted for that bottle.) She laughed, was glad it had helped, told me to keep it and asked if any of my other kids had issues that she she might be able to help with.
I loved that she just wanted to help me. She’s a mom too and told me about some of the things different oils have helped her kids with and I felt an instant bond. We moms gotta stick together.
I knew then, that I had to tell all of you about this experience, because if you are like me, you might think essential oils are a little out there, or you might be curious but not really sure where to get info about them.
That morning I told Molly I was going to write a post about my experience at the conference. I didn’t expect anything in return, but she talked to corporate and got them to give me an entire starter kit to try more of the oils and they also gave me a couple introduction kits to give out to my readers.
Molly has also put together a really awesome webinar to help you learn more about essential oils and if they are something that you and your family can benefit from.
I was worried at first that I wouldn’t use my oils very much or that I would forget about them and not get the use out of them that I had hoped to. This has definitely not the case. I have used the oils EVERYDAY since receiving them. In fact, I can’t believe how much I use them.
The kit comes with Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon, Melaluca, Frankensense, Deep Blue, On Guard, Breathe, Digestzen, and Oregano.
I also have a blend called Serenity that Molly gave me at the conference to help my child who has a hard time falling asleep and sleeping through the night. I also received a Wild Orange at the blog conference as well.
Here is a list of what I have used my essential oils for in the short two months that I have had them. (There are many more uses for all of these oils, these are just the things that I have personally done with them in the two months that I have had them.)
- Rub on hair line, neck and and temples for headaches, inhale as well
- Rub on feet, spine and forehead for fevers. I was especially skeptical of this but two of my kids had fevers and with in thirty minutes of doing this, their fevers broke. I rubbed it on about every 2-3 hours. Just one or two drops was all it took.
- Rub in between palms and inhale for an energy boost.
- Combine with Lavender and Lemon to help my oldest son with his allergies. We have been experimenting with the best way to apply it. Right now we rub it on his feet and then he inhales the residue on my hands for 30-60 seconds. It is helping a ton. We do it morning and night.
- Rub on burns or any kind of sore or bad bump like a goose egg.
- I use it in the combination I mentioned above in Peppermint to help allergies.
- I use it to help kids (or me) calm down if feeling stressed or melting down
- Rub in on my kids feet or back to help them relax and go to sleep.
- Put a drop in bathwater to help kids or you relax
- Diffuse to make my house smell good and kill bacteria in the air.
- Put a drop on my toothpaste once in a while, makes my mouth feel super clean and fresh.
- Use it in the combination I mentioned above in peppermint for allergies.
- Put a drop in the toilet to make the bathroom smell fresh when people are coming over.
- Rub on my wrist and inhale to get energized
- Rub on congested children or adults feet and chest to help open their airways
- Diffuse in congested persons bedroom to help them breathe well and sleep all night.
- Rub on cuts, scraps, rashes or anything skin related, AMAZING
- Add a drop to your moisturizer to help with acne
- Rub on poison ivy rash
- Put a drop or two around ear that is infected and sore or put a drop on a cotton ball and put in ear
- Put a drop in your hair product if lice is going around….always seems to be going around, around here.
- I get pain in my thumb joint on my right hand, I have been rubbing it on there and it helps the pain.
- I also rub it on my left hip which is always giving me trouble.
- It is really good for sore muscles too, but I haven’t had any to use it on. 🙂
- I have used it on zits on myself and my son. You have to be careful because it is very strong and stings, but it takes zits away in a day or two.
- It has many other great uses, and is a natural antibiotic, but we haven’t been sick to try it for that yet…is it bad that I am kind of excited for someone to get sick so we can try it.
- We use On Guard everyday, I rub a drop on the kids hands or feet before they go to school to give their immune system a boost.
- I diffuse it to kill germs.
- Rub a drop on your stomach if you throw up, have diarrhea, or are constipated or any combination of those three wonderful things. We have gotten some great use out of this over the past few weeks, as we have had a yucky virus go through almost all of us. DigestZen doesn’t prevent you form getting stomach viruses, but it is amazing at helping with the resulting symptoms.
- This is one every mother for sure needs in her arsenal!!!
- Frankincense is AMAZING! It should be it is pretty darn expensive…but it is the bomb! I am so glad they sent me the kit so I could try it, because I probably never would have splurged and bought it, but it is so AMAZING I will always keep it on hand now. I have been using it to help my anxiety and I can’t believe how much it is helping me. I mix it with Wild Orange and rub it on my feet or wrists and then inhale the residual oil on my hands for 30-60 seconds. I love it!
- I have also started putting a drop of frankincense in my facial moisturizer everyday this past week because I read that it is amazing for your face. I could be dreaming but I think my skin is looking a little better already.
- Frankincense is the Grand Daddy of all the oils. When a drop of frankincense is applied with or after any other oil it applifies the effects of that oil.
- They say “When in doubt use Frankincense.”
Now these next two weren’t in the kit but they are two of my favorites and I use them EVERYDAY!
- I mentioned above that I use it with frankincense to help with my anxiety.
- I diffuse it often to freshen the air, and increase energy level
- I rub it on my hands and neck to lift my mood and increase my energy level
- I just love serenity. I use it almost everyday, my kids ask for it at night because they love how it helps them relax and fall asleep. I rub one or two drops up and down their spine. (I haven’t used it on the baby, just the older three)
- Thatcher has always had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep (it is common for kids with Apraxia) Serenity helps him relax and go to sleep and stay asleep. It is like a miracle.
- I also love to use it when I have had a long day and know I will have trouble sleeping, it makes me feel like I am melting into my bed, I LOVE it.
- I diffuse it in the boys room if I think Thatcher is going to have an extra hard night, you can also put a drop on their pillow case.
- When my three year old was trying to figure out how to poo poo on the potty, she was getting very worked up and nervous and trying to hold it in. I rubbed a drop of serenity and a drop of digestzen on her stomach and two minutes later the poo poo came right out and she has been going on the potty ever since. It was awesome.
There are so many more uses for each of these oils, these are just the things that I and my little family have used them for in the short two months that we have had them.
Some people have told me that they think they would be too overwhelmed and not know how to use the oils or what to use them for. I was a little worried about that myself, but there is a great book that you can order or often times if you order the starter kit, they throw it in for free.
It’s a guide that tells you what to use and how to use it for over 1500 ailments. It is such a great resource. Also the doTerra blog is a fabulous resource with everything you could possible want to know about essential oils.
Don’t be scared, if you’ve been sitting on the fence or curious about essential oils, watch Molly’s Webinar and learn for yourself if these oils could be a benefit to you and your family.
For me, I love that I now feel like I have a first line of defense as a mom. I don’t have to run to the doctor for everything, I can try a few things and then if there is still a problem I can take them into the doctor.
We mom’s have got to stick together and help a sister out when we can, I just had to pass on my personal experience with essential oils in case it is something that can help you too.
Two of you are going to be lucky enough to win these intro kits…You have up to three chances to enter the Giveaway. *The giveaway is open until midnight on May 4, 2015 for all US Residents. The winners will be verified and e-mailed May 5, 2015. Good Luck!
Each kit comes with a 5ml bottle of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint.
(There has been a little confusion on how to enter the giveaway. For your first entry leave a comment on the comment thread at the bottom of the post and then hit “I commented.” After doing that the other two chances to enter will open up for you.)