Healthy Trail Mix with Oatmeal Squares Cereal
This simple trail Mix recipe is an absolute favorite at our house.
We make it for road trips, long outings, and for a healthy snack in lunch boxes.
Oatmeal Squares Cereal is one of my favorite things on the planet, (I swear this is not a sponsored post, I just LOVE THAT STUFF!)
It’s relatively high in fiber and protein but not as fattening as nuts, so it helps cut the calories, or how I prefer to look at it, you can eat more of it for the same amount of calories in regular trail mix.
The cranberries give a nice tart sweet flavor, almonds give it the nut factor and, M&M’s….well, trail mix has just gotta have chocolate.
This trail mix has saved my life on the brink of starvation more then once. Whether it’s hiking, walking around DC or NYC, And at Disney World it kept me from spending three hundred dollars on snacks.
A hand full can really tide you over in a crunch. I try to carry a little bag in my purse all the time, “just in case.”
You can mix this trail mix up however you want to match your family’s tastes. Maybe one of your kids prefers raisins to craisins or you like peanuts better than almonds.
*My only suggestion when mixing this up is to stick with M&M’s instead of chocolate chips. If the mix is exposed to high tempratures aka, being outside, the M&M’s hold up much better.
- 1 box oatmeal squares cereal, I like maple or the original flavor
- 1-2 cups craisins
- 1-2 cups roasted almonds
- 1-2 cups M&Ms chocolate candies
- Pour everything in a large bowl and mix until combined,
- Store in an air tight container or Zip Lock bag
- I like to make ½ cup portioned bags for the kids lunch boxes
- On trips I keep the big Ziplock in my purse with a few small bags, this way I can either just give kids handfuls out of the large bag or if they prefer to carry their own I can put a handful in a small Ziploc for them.
Recipes kids love