Bring on Strawberry Season! I love fresh berries and strawberries are one of my favorites so I try to make the most of them while they last. One of my favorite desserts to make with them is this super Easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe topped with fresh sweet whipped cream. YUM!
This Strawberry Shortcake is perfect to serve to company. It looks beautiful, tastes amazing and is absolutely no-fuss.
When it comes to cooking, I got my frugle-ness and ability to stretch the food budget from my mom. She taught me to use an Angel Food Cake Mix instead of buying the pre-made angel food cakes from the store bakery. The cake mix makes a bigger cake and costs less, and because it’s a cake mix it’s super easy to mix up and cook the night before you need it.
My mom always used a angel food cake pan to make hers, but I figured out that it is easier to just cook it in two large loaf pans. It makes getting it out of the pans and slicing much easier.
Depending on how you like your strawberries you can slice them up the night before and sprinkle them with a tablespoon or so of sugar. Cover them and put them in the fridge. Doing this will draw the juices out and make for a little git of syrup to go along with the yummy bites of strawberry.
If you do not like them that way you can just slice them directly onto the cake before topping it with a nice big dollop of fresh sweet whipping cream.
To make the homemade whipping cream you need; heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and a hand mixer. When my hand mixer was broken I made do with the blender. You have to be careful when using the blender though, because it can easily go to far and become sweet butter.
And of course, if you do not want to bother with making your own whipping cream you can top it with Cool Whip. But homemade cream is exponentially better.
- 1 angel food cake, I make mine from a cake mix and cook it in loaf pans. you can buy a pre-made one at the store bakery if you prefer.
- 1-2 lb fresh strawberries
- 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar, optional (only use this if you want to precut the strawberries and bring the juices out of them to create a little syrup)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- If you like your strawberries sweetened with a little syrup slice them at least three hours before serving and sprinkle with the 2-3 tbsp of granulated sugar, cover and refrigerate until serving. This step can also be done the night before.
- If you prefer your strawberries unsweetened and without the juices, slice them right before you are ready to serve the shortcake. If necessary you can slice them in advance, just make sure to refrigerate them in an airtight container and try not to slice them more than a few hours before serving.
- Prepare the fresh whipping cream by pouring the heavy whipping cream into a medium size bowl and using a hand mixer to whip it until it begins to thicken. When it is starting to thicken, stop and add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue whipping with the hand mixer until cream become very thick. It will be able to hold stiff peaks.
- To serve the strawberry shortcake start by putting a slice of angel food cake on the plate. Pile on a nice amount of sliced strawberries, and top with a big dollop of fresh sweet whipping cream.