Have you ever had a Toddler Muffin? Don’t let the name fool you, they aren’t just for toddlers. A better name might be healthy muffins with only a little sugar. They are perfect for kids and parents of all ages!
Who doesn’t feel like mom of the year when you make a snack that is super healthy and your kids gobble it up. I know I do, and these toddler muffins are one snack I can always count on my kids devouring. I love watching my kids shove these healthy muffins into their pie holes.
They have no idea they are eating pumpkin, carrots, applesauce, bananas, yogurt, oats, and whole wheat flour. He he he! These awesome muffins also have a fraction of the sugar and butter you find in most muffin recipes. They really should be renamed Healthy Muffins.
There’s a really popular recipe for Toddler Muffins on Allrecipes.com. I used it as a jumping off point but changed a few things to make them a little healthier and to cut out some of the fat. They are delicious and a snack you can feel really good about feeding your kids as well as yourself. They also freeze really well.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of plain or vanilla yogurt (heaping)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, smashed (the riper the better)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream together: sugar, yogurt, applesauce and butter
- Add eggs, pumpkin, carrots, and bananas
- Mix well add all dry ingredients: oats, wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Mix until combined
- Scoop batter into greased mini or regular muffin tins. Can use cupcake liners if you prefer. Recipe can make 48 mini muffins or 20-24 regular size muffins.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes for mini-muffins or 15-18 or until toothpick comes out clean for regular size muffins.
- Remove from pans and cool on cooling rack.
Other Kid friendly Recipes
Enjoy! ….and go ahead and nominate yourself for Mom of the Year! You just got your kids to eat their entire daily recommendation of fruits and veggies in one snack! YOU ROCK!!!