You guys this Famous Sanpete County Barbecue Turkey and Chicken Marinade is basically my family’s life blood.
I seriously can’t think of one summer get together or reunion where this delicious barbecued turkey wasn’t served.
I come from a long line of people who love to eat so the fact that this is prepared so frequently among us should give you a pretty good indication of how ridiculously AWESOME it is.
So yes, it is famous among our extended family but it is also famous because it is served to thousands of people every summer during the Manti Mormon Miracle Pageant that is held in Manti Utah (Sanpete County) every June.
Manti is a small town and church groups, in an effort to fund-raise and feed all the people who flood the small city every summer, prepare this delicious marinade to make the turkey breast extra moist and flavorful.
The reason they use turkey is because Sanpete County is home to a GIANT Turkey Processing Plant and they can get the meat for a very good price.
Luckily the marinade also taste great on chicken because out here where I live, boneless turkey breast can be really expensive. Chicken is a much more affordable and still delicious option.
My parents live close enough to the turkey processing plant that they buy turkey breast by 10 or 20 lb blocks. Just this past month when we were in Utah they marinated and barbecued about 20 lbs worth of turkey breast. There were 40 of us home and lets just say it didn’t last very long. It is sooooo good.
This marinade is also awesome because it is gluten free. We have a few people in our family that can not have gluten and this is a great thing to make when feeding them.
My mom, who I consider and expert in marinating turkey, saves and uses 5qt ice cream buckets to marinate the meat in. They have a tight fitting lid and are much easier to get meat out of than a Ziploc bag.
If there was one thing I could personally force you to make for your family or guests this summer, this is it. Barbecued Turkey or Chicken Breast marinated in this simple awesome marinade. Grilled.Summer.Perfection.
My dad and brother Matt have the grilling down to a perfected science.
- 2 cups Sprite
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp horseradish, bottled or finely grated
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- This is enough marinade for 5-10 lbs of meat.
- Mix all ingredients together ( my mom likes to do this in a 5 quart ice cream bucket) a large bowl with a tight fitting lid works well too or dividing it up into Ziploc bags works well too, it is just easier to get the meat out of a bowl or bucket when grilling then out of a tipsy bag.
- Cut large turkey breast in thirds or Chicken breasts in half. Chicken tenders also work well
- Add prepared meat to marinade and refrigerate for at least 12 but preferably 24 hours. Stir or flip once or twice if possible during marinating time.
- Using an outdoor grill, grill meat until cooked through.
- We usually serve with baked potatoes, green beans or corn on the cob, rolls and jello salad.