Skillet meals are life! This Zucchini Taco Skillet is full of veggies, black beans, and taco flavor. Served with a handful of corn chips even my pickiest eats it. This new zucchini recipe is a meatless version of my popular Chicken Taco and Rice Skillet. If you’re a fan of quick and healthy meals, do yourself a favor and stick both of these dinners on your menu in the near future.
I don’t know about you but I’m all about the zucchini right now. I think that not having a garden this year has made me crave it big time. I’ve had fun working up some new recipes like this Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake. You might as well make it for dessert to go along with this skillet. 🙂
Living that Skillet Life!
- Million Dollar Zucchini Skillet
- Creamy Cajun Pasta Skillet with Kielbasa
- Skillet Taco and Rice Dinner
- Chicken Zucchini Skillet with Cannellini Beans
- Taco Spaghetti Skillet Dinner
How to Make Zucchini Taco Skillet
Frequently asked questions about this Zucchini Taco Skillet recipe:
Can I add chicken or ground beef to this recipe?
Yes, you can add either. If you are going to add it, you need to cook it with the onion and carrot for a few minutes before adding the other ingredients and letting it simmer. Another option is to use precooked chicken, you could add that in when you add the rice and zucchini.
Does it matter what type of rice I use?
You can use most types. I would suggest long grain, but basmati or jasmine would work fine. Brown rice and minute rice will not work with this recipe.
Can I use diced tomatoes in place of the salsa?
Yes, if you plan to do this I would suggest adding a seeded jalapeno (chopped) and sauteing it with the onions and carrots. You may also want to add some additional salt.
How big does my skillet need to be to make this recipe?
You will need a four or five quart skillet with a lid.
What changes would I need to make for this to be vegan?
If you would like this recipe to be vegan you will need to eliminate the cheese or use non-dairy cheese. Otherwise everything else in the recipe can stay the same.
Is this Zucchini Taco Skillet recipe gluten free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten free as long as you use a veggie broth that is gluten free.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 segments of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup salsa, I use Pace Picante Medium
- 1 cup rice, long grain
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock (you can use chicken if you don't have vegetable)
- 2 -3 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Can serve with corn chips or wrapped in a tortilla if desired.
- salt and pepper (sprinkle on onion and carrots when sauteing)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet that has a lid. Add the onion and carrot and saute for 3-4minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and continue sauteing for another minute or two.
- Add the ground cumin, salsa, rice, black beans, zucchini, and vegetable broth. Stir the mixture until combined and bring it to a boil.
- Try to ensure that ingredients are mostly covered with liquid. Turn temperature down to low so that the skillet is simmering. Cover with lid and let cook for 20 minutes.
- When 20 minutes is up remove lid and give the skillet a stir. If rice doesn't look quite done return lid and let cook for 2-3 more minutes. If rice is done remove skillet from heat and sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the skillet and place the lid back on so that the cheese can melt.
- As soon as cheese is melted you are ready to serve.
- We prefer to eat this meal with corn chips or rolled in a warm tortilla.