Zucchini Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
It’s zucchini season baby. I love zucchini. Someone had some huge ones out in front of their house with a big free sign and I was all over that. I jumped out of the car and grabbed four of them.
I went home and got them all shredded and portioned out to freeze for future use. I see lots of zucchini bread, muffins and some new recipe experimenting in my families future.
I kept one cup out of the freezer bags so I could make this yummy and healthy snack cake.
So a word on snack cake: Snack cake is sort of the consistency of muffins but cooked in a 9×13 pan. It usually has health-ish ingredients and is super easy to mix up, spread in a 9×13 pan, bake and is sturdy enough to hold in your had for easy distribution to the masses. Boo Ya!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake recipe.
I use whole wheat flour in this snack cake to give it more fiber and protein but it will be great with all-purpose flour too. You can also experiment with throwing in a little flax seed or chia seeds and substituting coconut oil for the butter if you feel so inclined. (It’s really hard to mess this recipe up.)
- ⅓ cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt, scant
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, heaping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside
- Combine yogurt, butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar, mix well with a hand mixer or in your mixer for 1 minute or until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add shredded zucchini and quick oats. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes (this gives the zucchini a chance to seep and a chance for the quick oats to absorb moisture.
- Mix in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt until evenly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and spread evenly in the greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Keep it Real!!!