With Thanksgiving around the corner I’ve been thinking about all the yummy food I want to make and eat that day. You can be sure that this Coconut Cream Pie will be the first slice I choose out of our pie selection. I LOVE THIS PIE!!!! It is so delicious and, bonus, it is super fast and easy to make.
There’s a fourth cup of a little ingredient in there that you might not see coming, but let me tell you, it’s what makes the pie. Gives it “pizazz” if you will.
I didn’t even know I liked coconut cream pie until two years ago. Jamie Cooks it Up, posted this recipe and I was like, “Um, that looks delicious, I think I should make that for Thanksgiving.” It was the first pie to be eaten up that year.
I made it again last year and it was a favorite again. Looks like I need to make two this year, one for me and one for everyone else….
Jamie’s recipe uses instant coconut pudding. I tried and tried to find instant coconut pudding to make it the last two years, but living in the East, you would be surprised at how limited the Jello/Pudding selection is at the grocery stores….
I was able to find cook and serve coconut pudding and after making slight adjustments to the recipe I was able to get the perfect coconut cream pie. If you can find instant pudding use it and it will still come out great
I love this pie so much, just typing this post is making me drool. CAN”T WAIT FOR THANKSGIVING!!!!
*UPDATE (12/08/2015): I can now find the instant coconut pudding at one of my local grocery stores. I make a habit to stock up. If you live somewhere, where it is non-existent, don’t worry amazon’s got you covered.
WARNING: The creamy goodness of this pie and the fabulous coconut flavor may actually cause you to weep tears of happiness.
Bring on Pie Season Baby!
- 1 9" frozen pie crust
- 2 pkgs (3.4 ounce) Cook and Serve Coconut Cream Pudding
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ tsp artificial coconut extract flavoring
- 1 cup whipped topping (cool whip)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted**
- Poke holes in frozen pie crust with a fork and bake according to package directions.
- Let cool down completely before filling with coconut cream mixture
- For mixture add Cook and Serve Coconut Cream Pudding packets, Heavy whipping Cream and milk to a medium size pot. Follow directions for cook and serve pudding on back of pudding package.
- When pudding is finished cooking remove from heat and add coconut extract flavoring and sour cream. Mix well. Allow to cool down before spreading in prepared pie crust.
- Spread filling evenly into pie crust.
- Top filling with a think layer of whipped topping (cool whip)
- Sprinkle top with toasted coconut (directions following)
- **you can toast the coconut in your oven or in your microwave. If microwave put it in a microwave safe glass dish and cook in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until coconut is to your desired toasty-ness. If cooking in the oven, spread coconut out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes, stirring every minute or two until it's toasty-ness suits you. Open the oven carefully when you stir it, the fumes are poignant and can hurt your eyes.