A couple summer’s ago my sister’s sister-in-law made a Snicker Apple Salad for a family get together and it was such a hit I barely got one little spoonful.
It’s hard not to get a little obsessed with this salad. One bite is definitely not enough.
Even though the name has “salad” in it, make no mistake this is more like a dessert. A very delicious dessert.
The caramel, chocolate and peanuts from the snickers pair perfectly with tart and sweet chunks of apple making the salad reminiscent of a delicious caramel apple. The vanilla pudding base brings it all together and adds a creamy texture that leaves you wanting just one.more.bite.
With all the different apple varieties out there, you can experiment with what apples you like best. I like gala, honeycrisp or a mix of red delicious and granny smith. It’s a little too tart if you use all granny smith.
I also like to grab two fun size six packs of snickers at the dollar store or Walmart instead of buying full size bars. It’s a little cheaper and plus I only need 10 of them for the recipe which leaves me with two to eat while I’m chopping. I’m good at looking out for number one.
- 1½ cups milk (whole or 2% work best)
- 1 (3.4oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1 tbsp sour cream (optional) The sour cream is not necessary, your salad will still be amazing without it. I just love the little hint of a creamy zing sour cream gives to pudding recipes.
- 1 (8oz) tub of Cool Whip
- 10 fun size snickers or 4 full size, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 apples of your choice, chopped into bite-size pieces
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, pudding mix and sour cream (if you choose to use it.) Whisk them together until creamy and then fold in cool whip. Add apples and Snickers pieces (reserve a handful for garnish) and mix until well combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- FYI: Refrigerated leftovers will only last for about 1 day before getting slightly soggy.